• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another "What is it?" Question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've had this lying here in a garage cabinet and always wondered what it does. The top is detached via the clock key hole and inside were little subs/posts?. The bottom also detaches and had a makers name and patent date in 1892..The rounded bottom would make it easy to mave it around and work on it but it is very heavy as it's solid steel. The top piece is a vice.

Ray

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Rounded bottom

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Top parts separated

posted
Posts/stubs in top storage area

posted
Bottom sections

posted
Makers/ patent marks

posted
Well, answered my own question..Appears it's a ball vise used for engraving. I purchased in a watchmakers lot years ago so it must have been used in watch repairs somehow. Interesting piece though.

Ray

IHC Life Member
posted
A universal movement holder that won't slide across the bench.............. Big Grin

Bob

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
It is an engravers block.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Patent data

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is a drawing from his earlier patent

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Ray nice item if you ever decide to sell this let me know.. Smile
Samie

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Tom: Congratulations on digging up yet another piece of documentation on an unusual item. I’m not sure how you do it so quickly, but thanks!

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Ernie, but I need to develop my reading comprehension, after I posted this I realized Ray had already identified it, I just skim things too fast!

Tom

posted
Thanks for the diagrams and info Tom, this thing weighs a ton. It would cost a bundle just to ship it I think. I'll let you know if it ever needs a new home Samie.

Ray