Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Screw driver tips "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I have always thought that English gun makers had the best idea as to "turn screw" tips. The tips were made to fit a certain size screw. The tips were ground with a radius so the tip rested on the bottom of the screw slot. That is where the pressure is applied when force is exerted turning the screw.
This resulted in less slippage and way less buggered screw heads.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Sorry for the size of the pic. I reduced it as much as I could.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Ed,

Your spot on there. Here is a tool I use to shape the drivers to prevent maring the screw heads.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
close up of tip after

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
That is a neat sharpening jig Chris. Manual operated, for more control. Holds drive at a 90 degree angle, changeable collett holder.

Do all watchmakers sharpen for a radius?

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I don’t think they are commonly used. I invest heavily in upgrading my tools & equipment. Next month I am trying to arrange for the re calibration of my timing machine by the manufacturers, and following month I have my eyes on a top of the range case back machine, and so on my list is endless I love nice tools.