Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Whose teeth? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Any zoologists in the house?

In my collection is a rather different 19th century watch chain. How different? The watch chain consists of animal teeth, from what I was told, each capped with rose gold. My question is what species of animal, and, if real teeth? My guess, according to my research, is siberian tiger, or lion. What's your guess? Any members with knowledge of animal teeth?

Take a look!

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Here's a closer view of teeth.

Stephanie O'Neil

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

YIKES!!!

Perhaps a perspective on size might help. Say if you were to place a ruler in the picture.

Imagine the noise such a "chain" would make clattering around!

"Wild" in more ways than one Stephanie!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Lindell,

Watch chain measures 10 1/2" in length to T-bar, added drop (3 additional teeth) measures 3 inches.

Each tooth measures approximately one inch in length. One larger tooth at end of added drop measures approximately 1 l/2 inches. Diameter at widest point of teeth measures a tad less than one inch.

Wild huh? Smile Can anyone identify species of animal? The chain is not heavy. A yellowish coloration of teeth, no pearly whites here! Eek Big Grin

Comments?

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Stephanie,

I have a feeling that the "teeth" are actually manufactured from bone made to look like teeth. They really don't match any real animal that I can think of. The canine teeth of larger predators (bear, wolf) don't quite look like that. They don't look quite right for dolphin or whale either. But this is simply a guess without having them in hand.

It's a great chain and one I'd give my eye teeth for Big Grin (sorry, couldn't resist the pun)

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Hi Mike,
Hmmmm, if true wonder why they would manufacture teeth from bones? Whose bones? Big Grin

I'm guessing they are teeth of a tiger, possibly siberian tiger, or maybe lions teeth.

Take a look!

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Siberian tiger skull, check out those fangs!
Hmmm!

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Lion teeth. Take a look! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Other comments? Confused Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Update!

While on an out of town excursion yesterday, I wore the watch chain. A man stopped me and asked about the chain. I offered my ideas of identification of teeth. He stated he thought the teeth were definitely from "cats"; but was unsure what species. He also said Siberian tigers are almost extinct as there are only 500 in existence. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

What do you think? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I'm no expert, but the cat family does look right. Be sure to let us know if you find out anything definitive.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Elk teeth

Posts: 7 | Location: Colonial Heights, Virginia USA | Registered: October 11, 2005