Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

pallet setting tool "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I found this tool today at my local chapter meeting. With the help of Wynter Sturtevant, tools moderator over on the green board, we were able to identify it as a "Pallet-Setter Gage", patented in 1919. The various holes (in line with the arrow) are labeled (on the left, or top in this picture) with a letter for the watch company (E for Elgin, HL for Hamilton, HD for Hampden, etc.) and a movement size. The pallet arbor of the specific watch fits in the appropriate hole. (Patent Drawing in next post). (Drat - the original image file is a *.tiff file, and I cannot convert it to a jpeg to post). Based on the drawing, it appears that mine is missing another slide piece that holds the fork steady and true while the stones are adjusted. Does anyone have a more complete example or know how it is supposed to work?

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003