Internet Horology Club 185
Hampden Gladiator

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/469104152/m/852109772

April 29, 2010, 16:37
Dana Fuller
Hampden Gladiator
I recently purchased an 1890 Hampden Gladiator from David Abbe and it's causing me to rethink my position concerning 'cheap watches'. This watch is a prodigious timekeeper not losing more than a second or two over the past 36 hours. Is this unusual or is David's skill at servicing/adjusting this lowly 9 jewel movement the true cause of its excellent performance?

Dana
April 29, 2010, 17:15
Eric Unselt
Dana, I've got a couple of 7-jewel movements. I didn't buy them for that reason, but because of the dials that they fronted - and if adjusted properly can be excellent timekeepers.
April 29, 2010, 18:32
Richard M. Jones
Dana, The Gladiator was a solid design and in my experience a good timekeeper. Webb Ball thought 15 jewels was enough and the 7 jewel watches are actually very good time keepers. Of course Dave probably jeweled yours up to 23 jewels.

Deacon
April 29, 2010, 19:45
David Abbe
Cool
April 29, 2010, 20:51
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
I had a 7 jewel Hampden Champion when I was a kid.It was a nice running, deadly accurate watch.Wish I still had it!Even a 7J watch, if taken care of, will run forever.
April 30, 2010, 12:00
Brian C.
The first watch I bought, when I was a kid, with paper route money, was a Hampden Champion. I still have it.
April 30, 2010, 14:51
Jerry King
I, too, have a couple of 7 jewel Elgin's and they are 'right on' time keepers also....
I have come to the conclusion that 7 jewels are all that is needed for a watch to keep excellent time when adjusted properly....
An example of the other extreme is that I also received a 17 jewel Elgin recently and when I wound it fully it ran for 36 hours and gained 17 minutes in the process....obviously it could stand a good COA....

Regards,

Jerry
April 30, 2010, 22:02
Theodore J. Brown Sr.
That Champion I had, I lost somehow, you know when you're a kid you do all kinds of stupid things.I've always kind of missed it, so for old times sake, I recently found one just like it, nice and clean but missing the roller jewel.I'll get it running sometime.Talking about accurate low-jewel watches, I use a 15J unadjusted Waltham gr.620 16S for work, it keeps Railroad time!.....Ted.