Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hello all! Where was the Hampden Factory located? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of David A. Vasarab
posted
Does anyone know where in relationship to todays' geography, the factory was located?
Thanks,

Posts: 76 | Location: Parma, Northern Ohio USA | Registered: January 02, 2006
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I have never been to Ohio but I found this were it mentions a hospital now sits where the factory was, if it helps.

“In 1888, the Canton Chamber of Commerce located 20 prominent citizens to help raise $100,000 to bring two companies to Canton — the Hampden Co. of Springfield, Mass., and the Dueber Watch Case Co. from Newport, Ky.,” said information supplied by Walsh University, which operates the Hoover Historical Center. “When these companies moved to Canton, 800 employees and their families relocated to the city. This move helped create a building boom around the southwest end of Canton where Aultman Hospital is now located.

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Also, an address I found for them back in the late 1890's was 40 South Street Canton Ohio.

This is from 1891 & lists intersections streets, you will notice near the top of the center column it lists Hampden watch works

cd

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007