Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden 104 Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
I came across a 23 jewel hunter model 104 and would like to know more about them. Comments please.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Gary,

Their Grade 104 was the best Hampden 16-size watch.

In the hunter configuration it is essentially similar to a Hamilton 951 and nearly as rare. Compare the current book values and consider that simple point carefully if you are thinking about adding one to your collection. Someday Hampdens will be appreciated in this hobby, meanwhile they are one of the best values you can find.

Those are my thoughts, let's see what others say.

Lindell

Hampden 104 Hunter has the looks of a winner...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
This version of the 104 that Lindell showed has the barrel covered with a bridge. There is also a 3/4 plate version with exposed winding wheels.

These two types are lumped together in the watch guide. I'd be interested in any information about relative production of the two configurations.

Hampden No. 104 -- Later 3/4 Plate Version

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Gary
Under the 23j Hampden topic I posted is a picture of the grade 104 model 4 that I had won. Only 800 serial numbers are blocked for this variant The one I purchased went for much less .

CLICK FOR: Scarce 23j 16 size Hampdens

If you go to that thread I started there are production estimates given fo all of the 16 size 23j Hampdens.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Thanks Robert, helpful data, as usual, as I am also trying to get my hands on a 21 jewel Wm. McKinley.I am mostly into RR approved watches and info on the Hampdens can be hard to come by.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Hampdens are not appreciated, but thanks to IHC185 that may be changing. Smile

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005