Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hampden Aviator Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
My collection is primarily focused on railroad grade and railroad approved watches, but I find this particular Hampden somewhat interesting. Does anyone know anything about these 12 size movements marked Aviator?

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Chris,
I found the following information online don't know how accurate it is. Estimated date is 1922. Estimated production of this variation is 3000. Estimated production of total grade is 4000. Listed as model 5. Maybe the watch is running fast because it's magnatized who knows until it's in hand, you may want to inquire how fast. It looks like it's in great condition but the picures aren't that good. Sometimes if you wait too long on those BIN they're gone when you make up your mind. Seller is giving three days money back.
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
I went ahead and bought this watch. I skipped the BIN and made a lower bid on it, which won the auction. I'm glad I waited, actually. If the watch ends up being as clean and crisp as the (low resolution) images suggest, I'll be very happy. It's a very attractive movement in what appears to be an original case with the original hands and dial. I'm somewhat surprised that the price didn't go higher. Usually watches like this with low grade/variation runs garner a little stiffer dollar amounts.

Now the research effort begins. If anyone has additional info about the Aviator signed Hampdens, I'd love to see it!

Posts: 310 | Location: Portland, Oregon in the USA | Registered: February 07, 2010
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Found a nice advertisement for an earlier (1917) version of the watch.

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
By the way, the seller's claim that the Aviator name was inspired by Charles Lindbergh didn't fool me. This watch has an approximate production date of 1922 and Lindbergh didn't make his solo Atlantic flight until 1927. But, as I pointed out previously, the fact that this watch is signed Aviator is still very interesting. After all, powered flight was still a novelty in the early '20s. Aircraft had been used in WWI, but the commercial aviation industry was in its infancy. Calling this watch Aviator must have been similar to calling a watch Apollo back in the mid '60s. Branding that turned on the very cutting edge of technology.

Since purchasing the watch I've discovered that it retailed for around $55. That's a fairly expensive watch. Practically as expensive as Hampden's Railway grade watches from the same period. I'm very pleased with this purchase. I got it for less than the Shugart price and I think, given the low production run, that it's undervalued. I can't wait to get it here and have it COA'd.

12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Chris,

There are two versions of the Aviator.
A 19 jewel version with 3,000 serial numbers allocated and a 17 jewel with 1,000 serial numbers.

Both were marked adjusted. It is hard to know where the name Aviator came from.

As to the selling price. The better 12 size watches were often as expensive as Railroad watches and some like the Hampden 19j Paul Revere were more expensive.

This is an under appreciated watch due to its rarity and the fact that the 17j version is scarcer than the 19j.

Bob

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
Except that the example I bought is actually the 19j version. Still, at 3k pieces total, it's still quite scarce. I'm very pleased with the purchase.

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
These are preliminary images. I didn't set up lights, and my hands were being "coffee shaky" but they give an idea of what the watch looks like. I was very pleased with the condition of the movement, case and dial.

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted

Picture of Chris Hughes
posted
I just bought one of the 17 jewel versions of this watch. Now my Hampden Aviator collection is complete.

Check other Hampden topics to read about the stem wind Woolworth I also just purchased.