Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Has anyone ever seen another like this? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
I have had this watch for many year's and have never have I seen another one. It is a Hampden LEVER SET wrist watch I cant make out what the signature is on the movement? It run's but needs a good cleaning the case is like the Rolex bubble back. I know it is rare but just how rare is it? If anyone has one let, could you post picture's? Also, what is the value of it? Sorry about the dark photo's showing the lever.

Posts: 425 | Location: Washington State, Northwest USA | Registered: May 13, 2003
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Porcelan dial (sorry about my spelling)

Posts: 425 | Location: Washington State, Northwest USA | Registered: May 13, 2003
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
See the lever out? the photo does'nt do justice to the actual condition of the watch, its much nicer than the photo

IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
If you look close you can see the lever in the closed position in photo # 2 (of the full front view) look just below the V (#5) position on the dial. For a Hampden, this is a wonderful movement in my opinion especially in a wristwatch. Can anyone advise me if any other wristwatch made was lever set?

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Sam, this 3/0 movement is the "Four Hundred", and I believe most or all of these are lever set. It was one of Hampden's best grade movements in this size. Yours is their earlier plate pattern and was probably from around 1905. It is shown in Hernick and Arnold's Hampden book on pages 91 and 94. I believe it was originally a ladies pendant watch. The case looks much too modern for the movement and I would guess that it is a later re-case.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Thanks for the info Jerry, boy the case and movement combo sure look good. The movement fits like a glove and the lever set fashions well into that case. Just makes me question weather or not this was'nt done at the factory? I guess the production year gives the best clue but upon looking at the case I would estimate that it was made in the 20's or early 30's I wonder if anyone has another example of the lever set Hampden wristwatch? I would guess that there has never been another movement in this case judging by the case screw marks so I wonder I wonder I wonder?
Hummmmmmm

Watch Repair Expert
posted
Sam,

If your case isn't marked "Duber...." inside, you can be virtually certain that it isn't original to the movement. Essentially ALL Hampden movements of that vintage were originally housed in cases produced by the Duber Watch Case Co. John C. Duber, the founder and owner of the Duber Watch Case Co., actually purchased the Hampden Watch Company in the late 1800s, in order to provide a steady market for the products of his case company.

In any event, as Jerry correctly suggested above, the style of the case on your watch, is clearly DECADES later than the production date of the movement, and it's essentially impossible that the two could be original to each other. The fact that the case fits the movement so well is simply an indication that it's a standard American size 3/0 case, which is fitted to a standard American size 3/0 movement.

========================

Steve Maddox

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Thanks Steve for the info about the Duber case. I will check and see who the case maker is. (even if it is duber, I'm now more convinced that it is not original to the movement. Someone sure did a professional job of casing it though. I still would like to see other's espcially one of the originals? They must really be rare to find and have.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Someone else collects Hampden "000-size" watches!

Sam,

Your Hampden "Four-Hundred" is a high-grade 17-Jewel movement and as Jerry pointed out, it's the very best they offered. They are not common and to collectors like me they are very desirable. In my small collection I have only one "Four-Hundred", and it is the even less common Open-Faced one you see below in the original Dueber case. I will also post a movement picture as mine is the other, later model Jerry told you about.

"Dr. Debbie" Irvine

"Four-Hundred" in original Dueber-Hampden box...

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Administrative Assistant
posted

"Four-Hundred" number 2627091 in Dueber case...

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Administrative Assistant
posted
I would agree with Jerry that you watch may not have been originally sold in the case you have it in. At the time your watch was made the ladies pendant watches were still popular. Your case looks much later to me. You might also want to compare your case to the ones in my pictures.

Hampden lever-set in the original Dueber case...

Administrative Assistant
posted

Early Hampden in a Dueber "cushion" style case...

IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Dr. Debbie Thanks!

I see the evidence I was looking for! In the wristwatch that you posted which shows the lever set, I see the bezel has to be opened to operarte the lever where in the watch I have, the lever is outside the bezel, this is just more evidence that mine has been recased. (not that I doubted the other fellers) but thats my story and I'm sticking to it! But yes, the "four hundred movement is a wonderful movement. I wonder if I would ever find another proper case for it? (wristwatch case that is) I'm so glad to see another lever set wristwatch, thanks again Dr. Debbie!

P.S. Is yours for sale?

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Dr. Debbie,
Quite nice pieces in your collection, I like especially the one with the lever set.

Question if you don´t mind: what is the use of the small lever in the balance cock of your "Four-Hundred" in the Dueber case, I have not seen one before.
Saludos,
Carlos Flores

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
I have a copy of the 1935 'Swartchild' company catalog that lists cases specially made for 3/0 lever set movements.I also have one complete somwhere.
I think Hampden was one of a very few that made lever set 3/0 movements,but they made quite a few of them.
Hampden went "ape" over setting systems for the 3/0.I have @5 different pendant setting models.I think 2 different lever set models and a pin set .When you need setting parts for these,you must be careful to get the right system.
Hope I haven't muddied any water.
J Smith

Old Geezer #99

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Just when I thought I had the evidence that my Hampden lever set was not in its original case, I have found another one identical to mine, only in yellow gold filled and it is in the same exact case that mine is in?????? I now think mine very well might be in an original case even though it is not marked Dueber. (looking for a rebuttle) the defense rests.

Watch Repair Expert
posted
Sam,

Please note the message immediately atop yours above, which says:

"I have a copy of the 1935 'Swartchild' company catalog that lists cases specially made for 3/0 lever set movements....."

Your ~1905 movement is housed in just such a case, and it was not a unique specimen. It was one of countless thousands produced during the Great Depression, to convert 30 year-old ladies pendant watch movements into usable wristwatches, at a time when many people couldn't afford to buy complete new watches.

Trust me..... Your watch is a "marriage," not made in heaven or put together at a watch factory. There are probably a lot of others like it, but they're all marriages as well.

======================

SM

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Member 250
Picture of Sam Hansen
posted
Okay, again I'm convinced without a shadow of doubt, that my watch has an "after market" case. (would that be a correct term to use? After market) Funny how quickly an opinion can change is'nt it. Great information though and many thanks to everyone for gettin me off this roller coaster ride! (it is, it is'nt)
I'm seeing that the genuine (older) Dueber wristwatch cases have distinct lugs. Now this may not be the case in all of the Dueber cases but the lugs are rounded style, almost like a thick wire. (whoever designed them lacked a bit of creativity I think, but then again this is unique to itself)

Thanks again for the excellent information.

Sincerely,
Sam

Picture of Michael Dias
posted
I came across this earlier post about Hampden leverset Wristies. I have just purchased a Mollystark in a Dueber cased wristwatch with leverset. Very nice addition to my collection.

Posts: 72 | Location: Benicia, California USA | Registered: May 10, 2006
Picture of Michael Dias
posted
Lever

Picture of Michael Dias
posted
...and movement.

Picture of Michael Dias
posted
The case is a Dueber Silverine., which I do believe is original to the watch.

Picture of Michael Dias
posted
I'm not sure, but I also believe the strap is original, as it's a little dry and brittle. Would it be best to keep the band with the watch? I may want to wear this watch on occasion but would change the strap. Is there any greater collector value if the strap is retained?

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roy New
posted
Hello, Michael.
I personally feel that the original band and buckle adds value to the timepiece!
If you feel that a change is required, do so, BUT keep the band and buckle a future purchaser will be pleased that you did!
Timely regards.
Roy.
"So mote it be!"

Posts: 463 | Location: London in the United Kingdom | Registered: January 11, 2006
Picture of Michael Dias
posted
Thank you Roy. I thought the same but wanted to be certain. I don't feel it would last if I were to use it in the condition it's in, but adds to the authenticity of the piece. I will put it away in the chance I pass this watch on to another collector. Wink

Michael

Picture of Michael Dias
posted
Here is an image of the strap I believe to be original to the Hampden watch. The buckle and stitched leather strap appear to be of the 30's time period. Anyone have a different perspective?

Picture of Michael Dias
posted
...and buckle.