Internet Horology Club 185
Hampden case question.

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/469104152/m/3031052301

February 02, 2005, 15:54
Chris Abell
Hampden case question.
I have just acquired a very nice early Hampden pocket watch, S18 11J KW Front KS, In its original case and excellent condition all round. My question of this triple hinged 2 1/2oz case, Stamped “Warranted Silver Coin” (not coin silver), serial number 35 and no other markings. Was there a known case maker supplying Hampden in the second year of production?. Again sorry for the absence of photographs.

www.Abellwatchmakers.com
February 02, 2005, 17:22
Mark Cross
Just for my education, is the movement a Springfield or Canton marked movement? I thought Dueber made all their OWN cases from the get-go of the Hampden name. ConfusedRegards.Mark
February 02, 2005, 17:43
Chris Abell
Mark,

The movement is marked, Hampden Watch Co, and opposite Springfield Mass, face marked in capitals, HAMPDEN WATCH CO.
I am 99% certain that the case looks original, the inner cover has a single decorative band.
hope tht helps.

www.Abellwatchmakers.com
February 02, 2005, 17:46
Mark Cross
Most all the Hampden's I've owned to date have been in Dueber cases , so prior to the Canton move, I'm not sure either. I'm waiting for one of our Hampden experts to look in too! Regards. Mark
February 02, 2005, 18:38
Mike Paynter
Chris: Prior to Dueber and even after, many different cases were used. I sold two coin silver Springfield's (key wind) last year and both were not Dueber and were original to the watch.
February 02, 2005, 19:10
Chris Abell
Thanks, I was hoping to pin it down to a maker, a long shot buy worth a try.

www.Abellwatchmakers.com
February 02, 2005, 19:30
Kevin Pestor
Chris, i don,t know if this helps any.I have only 2 Hampdens.One case is marked A.W.W.Co. and the other is a Cashier case.
Hope this helps.
February 02, 2005, 19:42
Chris Abell
Seems more common that I originally thought a mix use of cases, one thing that I may hav never noticed before, it is stamped, "silver coin" not the coin silver, seemed strange? is it? did it change round to coin silver at a later date?, being case number 35 holds a interest and novelty in it own right.

www.Abellwatchmakers.com