Internet Horology Club 185
My Latest South Bend Project

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/364101939/m/6523902967

January 03, 2012, 23:13
Jared Brinker
My Latest South Bend Project
I picked this south bend up a couple weeks ago and had to wait to get back from vacation to look at it. First things first, the case is a south bend marked 20 year case in nice shape. It was a little dirty, but nothing a little hand polishing couldn't take care of. Here is the front lid.

January 03, 2012, 23:13
Jared Brinker
Inside, it had a multi-color dial. It happened to be hairline and chip free. It is utterly perfect. The gold hands also set it off well.

January 03, 2012, 23:16
Jared Brinker
Here is the movement. I very clean and nice looking 298 south bend. This movement is all but perfect too.

January 03, 2012, 23:16
Jared Brinker
Here is the back of the case. It is also very elegant, just as the rest of the watch is.

January 03, 2012, 23:19
Jared Brinker
And last but not least, it came with a nice fob that happened to be marked 14k on both ends (didn't know it until I got it here) and a nice fob knife that is marked 10k itself (This is a first for me!). All and all a very successful purchase that I will cheerish a long time.

January 04, 2012, 00:20
Tom Brown
Very nice Jared!

Tom
January 11, 2012, 04:33
Francis Bowman
Tom I agree with you, very nice job Jared.
January 11, 2012, 10:35
Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
I concur, good job Jared. I love the little gold pen knife. Smile

Best Regards,

Ed
January 11, 2012, 12:50
Jared Brinker
Ed-

I was surprised on the knife myself. I never thought of these little pen knives having been made with little solid gold plates on the sides. I just happened to notice the marking on the loop after I saw the fob was gold. I spoke to my father about it and he told me he had scrapped a couple of these back in about 1980 when gold had its last peak. As he said, there's more gold in those couple plates than you think too. to say the least, I went thru all my pen knifes I had gotten with pocket watches that I typically throw in a drawer... no more gold ones though... Frown
January 13, 2012, 11:35
John J. Flahive III
Nice South Bend hunter. Love the dial. You did well as these are difficult to find in this condition.
January 13, 2012, 14:13
Jared Brinker
John-

I agree that good ones are hard to find. My main focuses right now in south bend is putting together a complete collection and specifically the model 1 16s south bends. I love the shape and with the different grades and patterns available in the 16s model 1s. There is always a new grade or pattern to find. They are ultimately very hard to find in very good shape and original due to the model 1's not being made after the mid teens. A lot of them have been recased. another note is that a model 2 south bend case screw location will not match. This makes finding a correct case with matching case screw marks all but impossible unless you rob from another model 1 or find a NOS case.

Jared