Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

MY FIRST ROCKFORD COA "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Today I did my first Rockford. It’s basically the same as any other watch but there are a few differences. I found that the winding section has just enough of a difference to keep you on your toes, yet it is simpler than Waltham or Elgin. It just lines up differently.
The bridges are all great in the way they line up, although I did have a problem getting the escape gear to fall into the hole. The barrel bridge has parts on it that differ from the ordinary. I kept checking under the microscope for problems and after an ultrasonic cleaning I could still see dirt. At one point I found a piece of skin from my finger about to go under the bridge on the 4th wheel. Micro Scopes are great for finding problems you can’t otherwise see and also for finding cracked or shattered jewels, bent teeth and any thing else you can put under it.
However due to the skin find, I will now always use a Microscope to continue checking things out. Also some of you may not wear gloves, but due to finding skin on the 4th wheel I will now always wear them.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Interesting, Patrick. Yes, I had just finished bathing a Waltham model 92 last Wed., when I looked hard at the balance staff, and saw a piece of lint or something hanging off it. That was just about right out of the basket. So the scope sounds like a good idea.

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Ken,
The next day the Rockford quit. I started looking at things from the balance wheel in. Using the scope I discovered a very loose roller jewel about to fall out of the table. Seems the shellac had dissolved and the scope helped me to discover it. I couldn't see it other wise.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011