Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

mainspring grease "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I know that some people lubricate the mainspring with a few drops of oil and some smear the grease right on the mainspring. What is best for pocket watch mainsprings, and what greases and oils are recommended?

Scott Cerullo

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Picture of Willy Coffin
posted
To lubricate watch mainsprings, I use synthetic watch oil, but any watch oil will work. The synthetic oil is the best, as it will not dry up or break down as fast as traditional watch oils. I do not use grease on the watch mainsprings. Save it for the clock mainsprings! Once you put the mainspring back into the barrel, place 3-4 drops right on the coiled mainspring, an equal distance apart. The capillary action will draw the oil in and lubricate the entire mainspring.

Posts: 38 | Location: Chenoa, Illinois USA | Registered: June 29, 2003
posted
I use a Moebius 8200 synthetic oil for mainsprings. Seems to work fine.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Thanks Guys. I will pass on the grease and use the oil.

Scott Cerullo

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
I love Moebius grease on mainsprings,hour wheels,winding parts,or any place where there is frictional metel to metel motion contact-it seems to melt on contact,but doesn't run.I use a glass syringe and a fine,honed-off needle to apply it with[much more precise than an oiler or grease spatula].

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
Agree with Sam on the Moebius. Especially in smaller watches. Also have used Novostar mainspring grease in larger PW's. The higher spreadability of oils can cause it to migrate out of the barrel. I do lubricate the length of the spring by placing the grease inside a small folded over piece of wax paper and running the spring through it. It lubricates and cleans out fine dust at the same time. It's interesting to see how dirty a sealed, new mainspring can be.

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Right Mike,I believe many,if not most new parts will have manufacturing debris and/or lubeing present.

Sam Williamson
NAWCC 154312
IHC Charter Member 14
Member Chapters 96 and 185

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
In regards to mainspring grease, what one is recommended? Moebius offers many choices. Is an anti-sliding grease (8217) better than a braking grease? What about synthetic 9415 pallet and escpement grease for the mainspring? For watch oiling I have Moebius 8000. Should I get a special oil for pallet jewels, etc....
Does anyone out there use 9501 in the syringe? It would be interesting to hear your recommendations. Right now I am looking at over 20 different varieties of watch lubricants. It is very confusing.

Thanks For The Help,
Scott Cerullo

posted
I am going to assume that you are still refering to Pocketwatch oiling in my reply (as per your original post). Perhaps Steve Maddox can chime in about recomentations for wristwatches, which I'm only starting to dive into...

The Moebius 8000 is a good all around watch oil. I have used it in oiling escapement wheels (oiling every other tooth) just fine. The 9415 seems overkill to me.

As to the mainspring greases... I have used Moebius 8200 as well as Novostar (no number) mainspring grease with good results. The Novostar is much lower priced.

I haven't used the 9501 or a syringe. The simple flat tip oilers are what I learned with and feel that I have the most control over, so that's what I use.

The real task is getting the proper amount where it's needed. A good reference is de Carle's, Practical Watch Repair page 106. That and a little experience with whatever oiler you decide to use is key. Overoiling is as much of a problem as underoiling. The oils that are around today are much better that the old oils that were around when these movements were introduced. So these oils will outlast the more regular need for breaking a movement down for a cleaning. Those old cases let in a lot of dust and pocket lint. That being the case my motto has been keep it simple in the oiling department, and focus on the cleanliness of the mechanism.

Well, that's my 2 cents... Feel free to shoot holes in it. And I would like to hear thoughts on wristwatches.

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Anybody use Moebius 9010/2 ?

With the influx of synthetice is there a good oil that one can use to oil an entire train/escapement? Of course you would still need a heavier oil for the mainspring and winding/ setting areas.

Aaron

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002