• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 1892 cleaning "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Have been working on a 1892 Vanguard. Typical cleaning job. Is it my imagination or is this model a real stinker to reassemble? I have it back together finally, but the way the train and bridges intertwine (especially the lever and its interaction with the balance foot) leaves a lot to be desired. Does anybody have any pointers to lighten the frustration load?

Mike Miller

NAWCC-IHC Member #27

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
I had the same problem with the first 92 I took apart. Just a junk practice watch but I think I used every naughty word I know and even invented a few when doing it. They say it gets easy with practice!!

NAWCC 157316
IHC 155

Posts: 39 | Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada | Registered: November 23, 2002
<Doug Sinclair>
posted
Hi,

The 1892 is no tougher than any other full-plate pocket watch. The trick is to disassemble and re-assemble them upside down! Once the balance wheel and bridge, barrel bridge, and barrel are out, remove the plate screws, hold the plates together, flip the watch so the pillar plate is topside, and then remove the pillar plate.

Re-assembly is the exact reverse. Position the top bridge upside down, put the lever in place with the fork in the potence for the lower balance jewels, assemble the rest of the train wheels where they belong, and put the pillar plate on OVER the train. HERE IS THE TRICK to doing that simply!

1./ Orient the pillar plate so that the posts on the pillar plate are immediately over the holes in the top bridge where they belong.

2./ Locate the long centre wheel arbor, and lower the pillar plate over it. Check to be certain the pillars still line up with the holes in the top bridge.

3./ Look through the FOURTH WHEEL JEWEL HOLE for the extended fourth wheel pivot. Move the pillar plate VERRRRY slightly until you locate the pivot. When you find it, lower the pillar plate on over it.

4./ Make certain that the pillars are still situated over the holes in the top bridge.

5/ Using vinyl finger cots (little finger covers that remind you of something else), OR tissue paper. carefully lift the partially assembled movement, still UPSIDE DOWN, hold the plates gently together. From the edge of the movement, position the rest of the train and lever, one at a time, until the pillar plate finally "clicks" into place.

6./ Holding the plates together still, flip the movement over, top side up, place it on the assembly cup, and put the screws in place. DO NOT TIGHTEN THEM all the way until you are certain that everything is where it belongs!!!! Once you are certain, tighten the screws.

With practice, these are a piece of cake to assemble!

Doug S.

posted
Thanks Doug and nice to see you here!

Great step by step for full plate movements!

The "upside down" assembly is the trick. Kind of found this out through trial and error, but it's nice to know that it's the propper way to do it. I have worked on several model 83 full plate walthams and they all seem to go together easily with the pp down. This 92 had me a little stumped.

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831
NAWCC-IHC Charter Member# 27

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002