Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Crystal help needed "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Can someone tell me if there is a "Temp." substance I can use on a crystal, so I can keep these crystals in place until I have them fixed?
Or
Can you offer me a suggestion on how to keep the crystals with the watch so that it won't break?

I'm on my 3rd break here, and I have at least 22 that I'm trying to get together for sending them out to be secured to the watches.

I don't even have half of them together yet, and I'm already having problems with the very thin glass ones breaking on me.

ANY suggestions would really help.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
Sheila,

If I understand your question, you are looking for a way to hold correctly sized crystals in the bezel while waiting to have them professionally seated and/or cemented in place. Is that right?

If so, you obviously know that you want to avoid adhesives (hence your question), due to the mess and possibility of damage.

The only trick I know is one I've used on wristwatches from time to time, and that is to cut strips of Saran Wrap (or something similar) and lightly lay them across the crystal, allowing the ends of the strip to wrap around the watch case. It holds surprisingly well, removes cleanly and easily, and is cheap and easy to find.

Hope this helps,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Cary,
Outstanding idea! Thank you so much.

I was once told, a long time ago, to use a putty type product that is later removed with ease, but felt uncomfortable with it, because of what I thought would be a "crumbling" type problem, when it was time to remove it later.

This is going to work just great, and I have tons of plastic wrap too! again, Thank you for a really good solution.

I was getting almost sick over the thought of using tape!!!! Eek it made me shiver to even think of it Eek Mad Frown Big Grin

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004