Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

You know you are in trouble when "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
You know you are in trouble when these turn up for service, no more coffee this afternoon Eek

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
A little bit bigger screw head and they could have illiminated the wheel and cut the teeth in to the screw head Big Grin

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
I've done a few too. You definitely have to be in a calm mood before you start on one.If things don't go well it is best to put it away for another time.

Larry

Posts: 225 | Location: Belmont, Wisconsin USA | Registered: April 09, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
I recently did this self-winding Bulova. Calm is good while working on these!!

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Wel I have mine back together and it running very well indeed I am glad to say. You never know what comming at you from the jewelers.
I read the artical in the HT with that ring watch, great work on that.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
These small movements can be a challenge the balance and hairspring have too be handled with a very soft touch one little mistake and you are in trouble..

Roger i remember something a old watch maker told me years ago,,He ran a old time jewelry& watch repair shop ,,I stopped in one day to ask him about a old 7 jewel 18 size Elgin i was having trouble with and what i was overlooking..He looked up over his glases and said Moses could part the red sea but even he could not get some of the old 7 jewel watches to run . Smile Wink

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Well Samie, I will have to respectfully disagree with that old watchmaker. I have done a lot of 7 jewel 18S Elgins and they run just fine. I have a few that will keep time to RR standards of less than 30 seconds/week. Of course we do have synthetic lubes now which helps. Now if that old watchmaker was referring to some of the 7J Swiss Fakes, I would agree wholeheartedly. Some of those things have wheels that want to swap holes with each other they are so bad!!

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Roger i agree yes a lot of the old 7 jewel watches run just fine..but a 7 jewel with several of the bushings worn out and egg shaped can sometimes be hard for a good watch maker to make run ,,Someone that is just starting might get discourged trying to make one like this run..

I guess i just have a different idea about what jewel count or type of movement to use for the frist sevice someone does..Any day there is a ton of nice 17 jewel watches that can be bought for 20 -50.00 i think these are good for the beginner.my idea is start with the 15 jewel and 17 jewel and then later go to the 7 jewel .I have found that the higher the jewel count the easier the service is. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Samie...You are right with the 7J one might find worn bushings and or egg shaped, but rarely have I found a watch that will not at least run with even these faults - provided they are not extreme. It may not keep very good time, but it will run. The problem with 15-17J watches is that so often one or more of the jewels is cracked or damaged and then you need a part. True, these will also ususally run with a cracked jewel, but you know it is going to damage the pivots, where at least after a good cleaning and lube the worn 7J won't get any worse.