Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Wm. Ellery "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I have a Wm Ellery model 57 (1864) that finally broke its balance staff (had been bent). Can anyone tell me what the correct staff would be for this watch.. Would there be a staff number for something this old?

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Bruce,

I saw these on eBay and it might help.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2641653749&category=14325

I hope it does because other than that I cant. Wink

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Thanks Aaron,

His remarks said "Broadway Grade".. Would and ellery be considered broadway grade??.. I need one of the Waltham masters on this one.

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
? Big Grin

Hey Bruce,
Not to get off the subject but didnt we meet at the national last year?

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
yep, you were looking for a glass back if I was not mistaken

posted
Yep, Maybe we can get together soon. Isnt there a regional in Del Mar soon?

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God Bless America

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
You ride Harley's right? I bought one and that has taken me away from my watches.. Del Mar is in Sept or Oct.. That would be a great time to get together..

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Not counting different pivot sizes, there are at least five different staffs used on the 1857 model. These include two where the hairspring is under the balance wheel (short and long waist) and three for wheels with the hairspring on top (short waist, steel or gold balance, and expansion balance). This is as listed in Waltham's 1885 material catalog.

Broadway is a lower grade than Ellery and the staffs may not be interchangeable. The 1885 catalog shows 4 of the 5 staffs might be used on the Ellery grade, but only one on the Broadway.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Jerry,

Thanks for the info... A member was able to give me staff numbers for the model 57. My watch is undersprung which narrowed the staffs down to two. A 278 and 279.. I bought some 278's last night on fleebay and found a couple of the 279's on Dashto.. I am gonna take both staffs to my watch guy and let him pick the best one.. The measurements are so close on these staffs, it is hard for me to measure (time for a digital micrometer).. I will keep everyone up to date on which staff is correct..

(My money is on the #279) Bruce Big Grin