Internet Horology Club 185
Movement Advice

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/968109761

September 27, 2009, 06:52
John Hodgson
Movement Advice
I have been trying for a while to match up a watch movement to fit this case

I got the NOS solid silver deco case, The case was absolutely filthy almost black took me the best part of a day to clean it , I sourced a genuine Deegan silver crocodile buckle from America, thats why I put the real crocodile strap/band on this watch just waiting for a movement and a dial hope you members can help

the dimensions for the movement, are 22mm round movement these are usually european 15 jewel movements
with a square dial of 20mm x 20mm or 21mm x 21mm at the most

this is another of my projects

some photo`s of the case

Deco top

October 06, 2009, 01:41
Wayne Hanley
I don't have a movement for it but, I wish I did!

When you find a movement please send a picture of the watch on your arm. It's a nifty case & band.

Wayne
November 28, 2009, 16:44
John Hodgson
Still looking Wayne thanks for your reply and if you do see a movement get in touch

regards John
November 28, 2009, 17:16
John Hodgson
This is the state of it when I first got the Deco case cleaned it for the photo but it still took some elbow grease to get it somewhere near

the original strap I took off as it was very small and I could not fasten it on my wrist the case itself is unusual having spring pins in the lugs instead of wire lugs

original photo

November 28, 2009, 17:24
Tom Brown
John

What is written at the very bottom of the dial under the 6.

Also does the case back have a brand name, I thought it might help pin point what movement was originally in it.

Tom
November 28, 2009, 20:26
William Thomas
Put a ligne guage to the dial opening. It should probably show 10 1/2 lignes. If so a likely suspect would be AS 340, FF 1146, or maybe a Gruen watch specialties co. movement. I need to know thickness and a photo of backside of dial.
November 29, 2009, 05:37
John Hodgson
Although the case is large measuring 40mm x 25mm
it will only take a 15 jewel european movement or maybe an American
which is 22mm maybe 23mm
I make that a 10 ligne
Tom you said you wanted to know what movement was in it I`m afraid their was no
movement in it as I got the case as NOS and the dial was with it the Dial is marked
under the 6`o`clock position "460" is this a Calibre reference

The square dial of 20mm x 20mm or 21mm x 21mm at the most
the problem is matching the dial feet to a movement I have got 2 movements that fit
but the dials on them are no good so I`m still at square one

I would love to put an Elgin or Gruen movement in this case but the dial has to be the
right size on the Elgin or Gruen movement

I also bought through eBay from the same seller in Germany another case NOS this is a barrel
case but with the same sort of movement this other Case is Clearly marked "Cortebert" they both
had the same Strap/band on them but with the barrel case it was a fixed lug so I did not take the
Strap / band off it the barrel case has the "Cortebert` stamped inside the case and there is also
a makers label attached to the case with the same "Cortebert" logo on it

November 29, 2009, 05:47
John Hodgson
Here are photo`s of the other barrel case I got it`s not as ornate as the other one

November 29, 2009, 05:48
John Hodgson
and here`s the case back details

November 29, 2009, 06:54
John Hodgson
I think maybe I have placed this thread in the wrong place I should have started the thread in
"HOROLOGICAL ITEMS "WANTED TO BUY OR TRADE"