Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Roller Jewls, Instalation ??? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Roller Jewls, Instalation ???

I have a Father Time and today I lost or Zing about 10 Jewels trying to get one in the hole. I tried Pin vises to hold them as tweezers obviously were not the way to go. It's really tough to get a pin vise that will hold it. Most of mine are not a "0" closure so it slips back into the pin vise before I can get it in the hole. What do you use to install your RJ's?? I tried clay but it's to soft. Need some suggestions. I can't afford to loose 10 jewels trying to get one to fit.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Patrick,
They can be tricky, preparation is key, make sure your tweezers are in tip top condition, clear everything away that is not needed from your bench top and give yourself a good clear area to work on in case you drop it 6-10” radius at least, lots of light in the right place. I use the ultrafine reamers to carefully remove all old glue/shellac from roller on top and inside the hole. No special tweezers or magic tools are needed, of course make sure you have the right size jewel to fit!, then with the lightest grasp pick and place to jewel and shellac in place I often pre heat the roller tool its often enough to melt the shellac without too much movement of the roller.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Chris, I guess it's patience and experience. I got one in the hole now, finally, but it seems loose. I hope the shellac will fix that.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Make sure you get enough heat for it to flow least amount and slow, should look like a pure honey drop if you got it right, if its dark brown to much heat, remove and start again.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
I use this tool to hold the RJ. You slide the knurled knob down to close the jaws on the jewel. It holds very lightly. I don't have to worry about shooting the jewel into outer space with it. I also have the shellac in the hole and soft when I place the jewel. I then manipulate it with my tweezers for proper placement. Occasionally I may have to add a touch more shellac. BTW...there is no name on the tool so I don't know who made it. I don't remember where I got it either. Big help I am! Frown

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Roger, Thank you. I have 3 of those but they do not close tight enough to firmly hold the jewel, it slips back in the the tool as I try to insert the jewel. I am going to heat the tool tips and hammer (Shape) them on an anvil and then slowly clean them up so it will hold tight without putting to much pressure on the jewel and crushing it. I reverted to doing it in my photography tent to keep them for launching into space.