Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A bad day today... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
In my continuing efforts to learn watch repair, today I managed to:
1. break the bottom pivot of a lever in an A. Schild 1430 movement, and
2. break the seconds hand post/pivot on another movement.
Well, it is frustrating. I hope I learn something from these mistakes. Frown
Pete
"bad day" to be taken in proper perspective, of course!

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Thanks for sharing your trials and tribulations Pete. I am not happy that you are having trouble but I feel less alone in dealing with my own startup travails.

May the sun shine on you tomorrow!

Ron

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
posted
Hi Peter,

I'm new to repair work and can say I know how you feel. Sorry about your bad day - sounds like you already know it could have been worse. I find that if I start screwing up, it's an indication for me to walk away from my work area and do something entirely different & non-horological. I also know that as a beginner, I have to start first thing in the morning because it takes me forever to do one task.

At least you are willing to learn from your mistakes which at this point, could be considered tuition - if you catch my drift. Wink

Barbara

Posts: 315 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: April 07, 2005
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
My crowning glory was blowing the dust off of a hairspring and....the more than planned for blast of air tangled a perfectly good HS into a Medusa's masterpiece Frown Not the first HS I've managed to kill either Frown Frown Needless to say, I now handle them as if they were priceless spun crystal ornaments in Tiffanys Roll Eyes

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
Well the good news is.Usually when you do a screw up of a particular kind, hairsprings and pivots, you don,t usually do them again and you will always learn by your mistakes, i have been working on watches about 4 years and have a long, long way to go.One word, practice and practice more. Smile Wink Razz

posted
Pete, when I was an apprentice tinknocker about a thousand years ago the old timers use to tell us that if you aren't making mistakes you ain't doing nothing.When you're learning a skill that's part of the job description,you're are going to make mistakes ,break things,measure incorrectly,etc.I think in some mystical way it was meant to be that way to keep us from being consumed by our own bull**** when we think we have it all down pat.Basically,a reality check.
Keep plugging away Pete,I wouldn't lose a minutes sleep over a few broken pivots.Anyone on this board who tells you they haven't experienced the same thing when they started is obviously one of those folks who wasn't doing enough.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Folks,
Thanks very much for your encouragement and words of wisdom. That's what I like about this board -- people have experienced the same things and can offer ideas and encouragement (not to mention examples of their own mishaps!). Thanks again,
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
posted
Peter, I agree with Barbara. I am basically self taught and started doing my own repair about 30 years ago. Do I still lose parts?--YES. Do I still break something?--Yes. I have learned that on some days, I just do not have the touch. This may be due to-- amount of sleep, amount of coffee consumed, just basic attitude that day, etc. When I feel this, I stop and walk away and find something else to do. I come back later or another day and I find that things may go very smoothly. best of luck to you.

Tom

posted
Peter,

If it make you feel any better, let me assure you that I have done everything that you have done.

My special "goof-up" was a bad habit of sighing when things were not going well. I'd do it with a deep breath... in and out.

Of course... sometimes, I'd also forget to cover my work and I'd "sigh" about a zillion parts all over the bench. Wanna feel like a total *****? Razz

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
Tom and Peter,
Thanks for the encouragement. It has been a struggle lately, but I am still plugging away. It is amazing how completely a small piece of "watch" can disappear.
Pete

posted
Or a large piece! I once "launched an entire mainspring barrel into the depths of the shop. It didn't turn up for 48 hours, even though I looked and looked. I began to wonder if it had gone into orbit!

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Heck, I forgot to let the power down on an old elgin and launched the mainspring barrel at the Mrs. .. Needless to say she stays out of my little work area (a blessing?? )Smile

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
My claim to fame is--in 30+ years, I'll bet I've screwed up more hairsprings than anyone else. Just when I think I have the tweezers right, something slips. I won't repeat what I have called them a few times.

Tom

Picture of David Fahrenholz
posted
My favorite was when I was servicing a chronograph for a good customer and left for a weekend away with my wife. When I came back i realized I did not latch the shop door because I found someone had attempted to apprentice my hairspring work. The clue was the suspicious cat hair left behind. Needless to say that one was a tangled mess.

David Fahrenholz

Posts: 52 | Location: Fishers, Indiana USA | Registered: June 24, 2003
Picture of Chris Schirren
posted
I could add a lot when it comes to screw-ups or parts disappering into orbit, but more helpful may be the advice from my tutor watchmaker (needless to say, they break things too...): Tricky work should be done early in the morning, ideally after breakfast but before coffee! I have tried it and it works, my family thinks I am crazy but I can live with that Confused .

Posts: 58 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: September 02, 2005
posted
I might add that, since my original post, I have had a few ups and downs. I was able to get a couple of pocket watches up and running, but I have been STRUGGLING with a cheap, pin pallet, one-jewel wristwatch (ca. 1960s). I successfully swapped out a couple of parts (including a balance complete), but the clear plastic disc with a tiny airplane outline (instead of a normal seconds hand) has been giving me fits. I'd shuck the whole thing, but it is from a paying customer. If I can't make any more headway, the fee will be gratis.
Pete