• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need a opinion "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I am in need of a watchmakers lathe.A freind of mine has one.This is his description of it.Almost new condion, it is a Levin.On a custom made mahogany table with drawers and quite a few accesories.It has also a few outlets prewired into the table.Has been kept in a dry place with no corrosion on it.He is asking 1100 can.
With out pictures or other information do you think i should further check this lathe out?
I am certain i could go to his home and take pictures and post them here .
Thanks for all comments and thoughts on this. Roll Eyes Cool Smile Smile

Kevin "Veritas" West

posted
Kevin,

Do a GOOGLE search for Levin Lathes.

I just did this myself and there is a wealth of information to look at out there. Eek Eek Wink

Phil Dellinger

posted
Kevin,
Is this a ww 8mm watchmaker's lathe? If so, the fairness of the price would be dependant on the kind of accessories with it.

A 8mm ww style lathe (Peerless, Marshal or equivalent... not top of the line, but very servicable) with a few collets, motor and speed control should be had for $350 US or so. Slide rests, and accessories can be quite costly. I am unfamiliar with Levin Lathes, perhaps someone else has had experience with them.

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Levin lathes and other products are first-class. Some claim they're better than Boley, while others claim Boley as the better brand, but I've used both, and I don't think there's any significant difference.

As others have suggested, the "fairness" of the price depends on the model of the lathe, and the accessories with it. Many Levin models have collet-holding tailstocks, and that's a feature I personally consider almost essential in a lathe.

At the Marts I've attended in the last few years, I've seen basic Levin 8mm watchmakers lathes with no accessories in the $600 (US) range. A Levin cross slide could sell for $450 or more, and Levin collets typically bring about $10 each.

Particularly if the custom-made bench is nice, I'd say it's quite possibly a good deal.

====================

Steve Maddox
Past President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Kevin,
Someone has a lathe on eBay, item #2690705090
It looks like it would be a good starter lathe and not a whole lot of money right now. I think it ends in a couple of hours.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002