Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is a good lamp? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2030
posted
This is research , surely someone has advice.
What lamp do you use?
Is led better?
My old fluoresce is ok but would like to Upgrade

lamp

This lamp bounces $80-$130.

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Hi Mike,

I just recently converted my old fluorescent fixture to LED's... was worth the time and effort. I used bright white lights (2 strips of 10 LED's each) powered by a 12 Volt DC converter. This provides an intense amount of light without the buzz of the old fluorescent fixture. They also generate very little heat. I would definitely recommend LED's as they have a very long life and their is no dealing with the hazardous waste of the fluorescent bulbs. Hope this is helpful to you.

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Serge, Now we're talking. I'd like to do the same thing, but don't know how to go about it.
Can you give us the details?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Hi Dave,

I need a lot of light when I'm working at the bench (read... old guy!) and I was tired of the buzzing that my mid century Dazor desk lamp produced. (Pic attached of similar lamp for reference). Love the lamp, it's perfect for my needs but hate the buzzing! While the fluorescent tubes stay basically cool, I also did not want to deal with them due to the hazardous waste (mercury). This is what go me to consider an LED conversion.

I had access thru work to some industrial grade LED's that are used in commercial bus applications. These units are mounted on nice PCB's and have aluminum heat sinks to keep them cool and they were almost the same length as the tubes they were replacing.

Let me try to explain what i did....

I removed the fluorescent tubes and in their place I fastened the two sets of LED strip lamps directly to the lamp housing where the tubes mounted. I then ran the wiring along the outside of the lamp arms and completed the wiring to the 12 volt DC converter. I'll take some pictures of the completed project and post them. Along with the power converter I included an in-line on/off switch. The project took about 1/2 hour to complete and I could not be happier with the results!

I can supply you with all the info on the power converter and in-line switch if you would like. These are all Amazon supplied parts. As for the LED's you can find LED's on a sticky backed strip that can be used in the same manner although it might take some more work to accomplish the conversion.

If your interested I can see If I can still get my hands on the LED lamps and I would pass them on to you at my cost Big Grin

More pictures to follow...

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Serge,
Yes I am interested. I also have an old Dazor 2 tube lamp, but it's the one that clamps on with the adjustable arm that you can position exactly where you want it. I like it the way it is, but don't like the buzzing. One light is getting hard to light anyway. I could replace tubes and starter, but I'd still have the buzzing.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Here are the pic's of my converted lamp:

Kindest regards,

Serge

IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Pic #2...

Kindest regards,

Serge

IHC Member 2030
posted
Nice workspace, looks plenty bright. Thanks for your help. Still researching, lighting is a science in itself. Architect , surgeon lamps, maybe overthinking this Smile
The homemade led may be the way to go.

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I agree Mike, Looks like a very good light. I have found a modern equivalent for about $150.

Still trying to make a decision myself.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Gent's

Just as a point of reference (discounting the original cost of the Dazor lamp) this conversion cost me less than $50 to complete. Big Grin

Kindest regards,

Serge

posted
I went through a couple of lamps before settling on this one

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Ef...ui_search_detailpage

It gives off plenty of light, is very adjustable, and of course has the handy magnifier too

Bob Walder

Posts: 152 | Location: Austin, Texas USA | Registered: February 18, 2016
IHC Member 2030
posted
Thank you
That one is in the mix.
with lupes I don't use the center lens that often.
Why does it look like a loo?
This is the old lamp,will keep for another 30 yrs.
But must modernize!

posted
Well, like all good husbands, of course, you will keep the lid down most of the time! Wink

Bob Walder

Posts: 152 | Location: Austin, Texas USA | Registered: February 18, 2016
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Serge, I see you like to work with the same two sets of screwdrivers that I use.

Just curious,.. which one do you like better, and why?

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
Picture of Thomas M. Cusack
posted
Just had to try this , My Dazor light was humming bad,then came the smoke show Eek That's right the ballast burned up.What a smell ! I like the lamp so I decided to convert it to LED.
Got two led bulbs from the bay for $28.00 followed the directions and in 1/2 hr. my light became led with bright day lite bulbs. Now no more hum or heat
Plenty of light now

Posts: 175 | Location: New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2015
IHC Member 1902
posted
Thomas I looked for a replacement LED for my lamp but wasn't able to locate one.

Can you tell me where you found yours please.

Mike

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
Picture of Thomas M. Cusack
posted
Here is the # to the bulb LED F15T8 Tube Light(Rotatable)-T8 18"-Daylight G13 Fluorescent Replacement Bulb.You have to un-wire the ballast and the on off switch. real easy to do this is the 120 volt they have others that run on 12-36 volts

seller on -bay fulight

Posts: 175 | Location: New Hampshire in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2015
IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Hi Larry,

I have just realized that I missed you post and question... my apologies for that! I started with the cheap Chinese set as I going thru the learning process and while the handles are OK the blades are C#$P! and constantly fall out of the holder... guess you get what you pay for Big Grin The Bergeon set provide a nice swivel head and much better blades that retain their shape longer. I tend to switch back and fourth using the China set for the very large screws and the the Bergeon set for the finer / smaller screws.

Kindest regards,

Serge