• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham Size 6 Disassembly "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Some one mistakenly entrusted their fathers watch to me.
It is a size 6 Model 1890 S/N 19998599.
Which should be in a hunting case, but is in an open case.
Not the problem.
I am not familiar with this watch, and can not find a click. Just took it out of the case, removed the dial just to see whether I could find a click.
No luck.
Besides this issue, the balance seems to be over-banked, but I am not going there until I can release the mainspring. (Which may be another problem area.)

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
IHC Member 1613
posted
Melvin,
Can you take balance cock and balance off and remove pallet bridge lift pallet out and let the mainspring run down and take it apart.I am sure you will find the click..

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
As I recall, the "click" is under the dial plate and requires lifting the mainspring cover which is separate from the movement plates. There should be a small hole drilled into the side of the dial plate nearby the area of the spring barrel, and inserting a 1.5 mm screwdriver tip adding light pressure in and putting some winding pressure on the winding stem will allow the screwdriver tip to push in disengaging the click and allow you to let down the mainspring via tool you used to add pressure to the winding stem.

If the balance is only over-banked, you should be able to fix that without letting down the mainspring because the escapement will hold back the pressure on the movement until the balance wheel starts to cycle correctly.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Hi all,
And thanks for info so far.
The movement is DIRTY and will require a full tear down.
I will not try this until the middle of March (I will be away til then)
This will give me an opportunity to gather (courage) and more info.

Posts: 507 | Location: West Newton, Massachusetts USA | Registered: September 10, 2006
posted
The literature for this S/N says that this is in a Hunting case.
THIS movement is in an OPEN CASE, is this an indication that it was swapped out, for some reason, or can the literature be wrong?

posted
Hi David,
Of course u r correct, the click is accessible thru a hole in the MAIN PLATE using a somewhat smaller driver than 1.5mm.

When I got there , the mainspring was broken, OF COURSE.
Have plenty in stock so replacing it was no problem. Was surprised that the M/S was wider than the depth of the barrel. So it sticks above the top (?).

Reassembling....Any tricks on getting the loose arbor to line up first with the square hole in the bottom of the barrel, and then the square hole in the winding arbor. All blind actions.

PS Should the escape wheel be able to turn backwards past the palet fork, with other gears out???. Not sure this is another problem or not.
Mel

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP I GET HERE!!!!!