Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Can this dial be saved? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Tried lightly rubbing with RODICO, would anyone have any other suggestion on restoring this dial? Its on a 12S Elgin Grade 479, 17jewel, which runs fine, and keeps time. Also I am in need of replacement hour/minute hands?

Elgin

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Wayne,

I believe I have a set of hands for that watch. Let me look around. They will need to be fitted but are otherwise identical.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Wayne,
The Elgin hands that go with the existing second hand are a little different style than the hour & minute hands that are currently on your watch. If Aaron doesn't have a set, I might. Let me know if you still need them.
Your dial looks to me to need a professional refinishing to really look much better. The surface corrosion actually "pits" the surface and cannot be removed without refinishing.
Also, the bow on your case doesn't look correct to me. Perhaps one of our other members can show what the original bow looks like, if in fact yours has been replaced.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC #49688
IHC #34
http://members.aol.com/stdwatch/

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Thanks Aaron & Ed
Any suggestions/recommendation of who/where provides dial refinishing service? By the way, when I found this watch if was fitted with a plastic crystal - Its in a Keystone J. Boss gold filled "Cased and Timed by Elgin National Watch Co", and it would think that they would have fitted a glass crystal to the case?

[This message was edited by Wayne C. Anderson on April 20, 2003 at 11:53.]

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Wayne,

That style of hands is the kites I believe. I have a set of open diamonds for a 12s. They are cherry and I will send them to you if you want. Look in the Rockford section of Shugarts and tell me if they will be ok for you.

The catch is that you provide a photo when the watch is done. Wink

E-mail me your address and I'll mail them in the morning.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter #55
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Would have to agree with Ed. The urge can be to start scrubbing, which usually ends up being a bigger mess. Have had good luck with International Dial Co. in Ohio. You have to be specific with these people and "Hammer Home" your wishes, or they can be sloppy on occasion. They've done some fantastic work on fancy Longines wrists that I chose to specialize in. In the case of your dial my instructions would be....Redo to clean original. Good Luck
Ralph

Ralph Rehner

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Totally agree regarding the use of the services of the face refinisher in Ohio. Be SURE to give them more information than they want, as they can and do leave off little details if not told directly. I've had two wristwatch faces redone by these folks. Really wonderful work, but had one scare using them as they 'lost' one of the faces in production. Fortunately it was located, but only half the job was done. I never returned the face, as it belonged to my father's old Lipton Oyster, and I didn't want to take the chance of them actually losing the face a second time. Bottom line, though, both refinishing jobs were absolutely first rate. Regards. Mark Cross

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002