• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

HELP!! I'm in over my head "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can someone tell me how to remove this barrel from the barrel bridge of this Rockford grade 103?
It looks like it may just pry off, but I'm not sure and since this is a very nice 2-tone Rockford, I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks...Jim

Jim Wooldridge

Posts: 49 | Location: Rapids City, Illinois USA | Registered: August 05, 2005
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Gee Chris, I dunno.

I haven't worked on many Rockfords but it was one of the few watches where I broke a part (escape wheel pivot on a Lady's "O" size) during assembly (I'm more likely to break a part on disassembly).

I read your link but.... that's for a Hamilton 950. Rockford's motor barrel MAY be similar or identical to the Hamilton or maybe not.

I wouldn't touch it until I'd talked with someone who had personal experience with that particular Rockford. And.... if it is a jeweled motor-barrel, prying or stressing it can easily break the jewel(It's a definite problem on the 23 jewel Bunn-Specials).

Just my 2 cents....

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Jim,
Your Rockford, Grade 103, 1st Model, 16 size, does NOT contain a motor barrel. I do not believe that Rockford ever made a motor barrel on any of their watches.
The center cover over the winding wheel unscrews from the barrel arbor, which is threaded at the tip with a "D" shaped section under it to hold the winding wheel. It should have a right handed thread. The easiest way to remove it is to use a pair of tweezers (a #6 or #7 is the easiest) with the tips inserted into the two small holes in the wheel cover. Unscrew the cover counterclockwise allowing the click keeping the winding wheel from rotating. The cover will then screw off, allowing the winding wheel to be lifted up, off the arbor.
The crown wheel cover should work the same way, but may use a left handed thread (I don't have one in the shop and cannot remember). You should make sure which way it unscrews before putting much pressure on the cover.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Thanks Chris, Peter and especially Ed!

It was really gunked up, but came apart exactly as Ed described. For the record, both wheels are right-hand threads. I finished it tonight and it is running nicely. Now, on to timing it. Here is a photo of the movement running.

Jim Wooldridge

Posts: 49 | Location: Rapids City, Illinois USA | Registered: August 05, 2005