Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What Mainspring? [Problem solved] "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Every question brings about answers which are read by others and someone learns something. To me that is a lot of what this club is about plus making new friends.
OK, So, one more question. I have an Elgin 12s, 15j, OF. #9443660. It runs about 6-8 hours and is a little slow. On winding I can feel the mainspring slip and if I wind it again it will slip again so I stop. HOW DO I tell which spring I should look for. Part's numbers and so on? I know for me I am opening a whole new can of worms, but hey, I enjoy searching for worms. I have swapped mainsprings and just replaced them but never got into winding them, if I have too. Now I gota go look for a tool. Are all 16's the same?
Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Patrick, according to your serial number your 12s Elgin is a grade 234, and takes a #1720 mainspring. E-mail me if you need one.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Brian; I will check it our this afternoon and let you know........
Thanks, Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Brian. I emailed you and we will solve this problem soon. Yes I do need a new spring.....
Patrick 1616