Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cleaning of two tone and gilded movements "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Been away from this board and my watches for awile. I have a couple of two tone movements and three gilded movements that are "dull". I do not have a mechanical cleaner and am looking for some advice on what products to use and the best technique to use so as to not scratch the movements.

I know this has probably been hashed and re-hashed a few times.. Please indulge me.. Thanks

Bruce

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
A proper cleaning involves a complete dismantle. I wouldn't suggest trying to simply clean the surface of the back plate with any type of cleaner or cloth. Cleaner will seap into the workings and cloths will leave dust or lint. Both will reak havock on timekeeping.

A good cleaner for guilt watches is an ammoniated one such as L&R 111. It makes the surfaces sparkle when properly rinsed. It is great for two-tone movements.

BTW I see you're from SanDiego. I will be visiting relatives there soon. Any good horological venues to visit while I'm there?

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831
NAWCC-IHC Charter Member# 27

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Mike,
San Diego. The only horological venue I could think of would be a IHC lunchon. How long will you be there? I'm only about a hour north.

Aaron Bereiter
NAWCC# 156432
Chapter 185 Charter 23
Chapter 185 Finance VP
God bless America

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Mike,

Not alot going on here when it comes to horology.. If you are looking to shop, there are a couple of shops in the La Mesa area that have some nice watches.. Most of the sellers of PW's in San Diego know what they have and price them accordingly. Let me know when you are down this way. Get some coffee or something if you can pry yourself away from the relatives.. Bruce

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Gee Mike, if your relictives (I meant that!) are anything like mine those offers would really sound great! In fact it would be a fine thing if there could be a digital photo taken of the three of you together and we could post it here on the Discussion site.

Could there be a Land-Based Chapter Meeting you could all attend? Maybe Aaron will have the IHC shirts ready in time!

Cool < Say, where are those shirts?
Eek

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hey, It sounds like a great idea. We have Aaron and Bruce, Who would like to plan a get-together near SanDiego second or third week of June? Sign up here and we'll get an email list going to iron out the details!

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831
NAWCC-IHC Charter Member# 27

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002