Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

How do I fix this watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1902
posted
I got this watch recently with a view to fixing it.
It's not worth a lot but it is a lovely little one with no damage or wear and the first size 0 that I have seen in nice condition.
Here is the info from the database :-
Ser. No - 8138847
Model - 1891
Prod Year - 1897
Jewels - 11
Setting - Pendent
Movement - Open face

It only runs for a few hours before stopping. It feels to be completely run down. When I rewind it, it starts in the first 1/2 turn so I would assume that the movement is good but the spring has a problem. Probably broken so I want to get it apart then look at the spring and hopefully replace it.
Also the minute hand is a different colour to the hour hand. Am I correct in thinking they are wrong?
If so what colour should they be.
I have never had one of these and am not sure how to get to the barrel. It is marked "safety barrel". As all the previous work I have done has been on common size 16 Walthams all of which you can see the winding wheels and get to the barrel easily.
Can anyone give me some help with these two simple questions please?

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 1902
posted

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 1902
posted

IHC Member 1902
posted

IHC Member 1902
posted

IHC Member 1613
posted
Mike,
Very simple..Let the watch run down then take the movement out of case..The mainspring barrel is under the plate that has Am Waltham Watch Co on it...You can see the top of the barrel arbor..Just remove the two screws that hold the plate and lift it off..Then you will see the barrel and just lift it out..Should be no problem...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks a lot Gary. Much appreciated.
One other thing I meant to ask is what does safety barrel mean?

IHC Member 1613
posted
The barrel is two separate pieces the lower part of the barrel being steel..It the spring breaks the lower steel part take the force of the broken spring and it is not shot thru the gear train..Hope that answers your question...Gary

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks a lot Gary. Now I know.
Mike