Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Manual Timex mainspring let down help? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roddy J. Brunton
posted
Hi, I have several of these that are wound tight & I want to let down the mainsprings. However, I can't figure out how to release these.
I am a hobbyist/collector not a watchmaker.
Thanks, Rod

Roddy JB

Posts: 1385 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Have you looked under the dial side?
often if you apply a little extra winding pressure on and off you will see the click/part to release moving.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Chris, No I have not done that. I have never removed a dial before, though I have let down the mainspring on a couple other makes of manual watches. I would have to remove the hands & dial to do that? Regards, Rod

Roddy JB

Posts: 1385 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
posted
Roddy,
If you're going to completely disassemble this Timex movement, be careful. They're a bit harder to reassemble than your standard 16s Elgin.
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
hi Pete,
Trust me, I do not want to dissamble this completely, just release the mainspring. I think then it will start running. I am not a watchmaker! regards, Rod

Roddy JB

posted
I have a nice Timex Service Manual and Parts Catalog from the 1970s in which it states that the preferred method of cleaning most of these movements was to remove only the minute hand, dial (of course the hour hand comes off with the dial), and the balance assembly. The balance was removed by loosening the V-conic screws (or balance endshake screws) holding in the balance; then carefully removing the stud pin, then slowly revolving the balance wheel until the balance spring is free. The whole movement was then put in the cleaning solution/machine. It is interesting to read these procedures from the factory.
Let us know if your watch starts to run again!
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
Hi Peter,
Thanks for your reply! Sounds like there is no way to just release the mainspring & wind it down. The rest, frankly seems out of my league as a hobbyist.
Regards, Rod

Roddy JB

posted
Hi Roddy,
I'm not an expert on those Timex watches, but you should be able to let down the mainspring, as Chris said above. It wouldn't hurt to give it a try. If that doesn't help, you've got another problem -- misadjusted V-conic screws, dirty movement, or who knows what else! Good luck!
Pete