Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seiko Kinetic Wrist Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I have been wearing my titanium Seiko kinetic (self-winding) watch for about seven years. Recently before I moved, I snagged it and broke one of the links that connects the band to the watch. So I took it to a local jeweler to get it fixed and it came back with a tiny crack in the sapphlex crystal as well as the hour hand, date and day of week not lining up properly. I didn't have time to get it fixed again due to my pending move. This is a real problem for me since in my industry, I have to put down the correct date with every signature. I sure learned a lesson about getting repairs done by a reputable dealer/watchmaker.

I really like the watch - no battery, scratch-proof crystal, glow in the dark, light on the wrist, neat display case to see the winding mechanism, etc. In fact, right after I got it, I was thinking that this might be the last watch I will ever buy. I was way off on that one... Wink

Anyway, does anyone out there fix this type of modern watch - or can someone at least help me find out how to send it off to Seiko to get fixed?

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Whirly-gig thing-a-ma-bob whatchamacallit on the back:

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

John,

I sent a watch to Seiko for repairs a couple years ago and although unquestionably competent their fees were to my mind very high. They also seem to prefer replacing an entire movement rather than doing a simple repair or or making an adjustment. I understand that is cost-effective but it just doesn't set well with my philosophy.

Recently my Seiko Perpetual Calendar Wristwatch stopped working. One day Chris Abell and I were discussing servicing some of my pocket watches and asked him what he thought about doing this one. Chris is a good natured guy and his immediate response was... "I'll give it a go!" ...so I sent it to him along with the instruction manual. Not only was it repaired and back in short order, the repair cost was very reasonable and my Seiko is now performing flawlessly.

CLICK FOR: "Chris Abell, Watchmaker Taking Work."

There are probably others among us who could also handle your situation, and there may be other suggestions, but you might want to see if Chris will... "give it a go" ...as he did for me.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
John,

If Chris Abell doesn't take the job, send me an email. I've repaired one of these for another member that, if I remember right, is the exact same watch.

Tim.

Posts: 95 | Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida USA | Registered: January 16, 2006