Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Not-So-Perfect Balance "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 229
posted
Hello All...I'm the nut who thinks he can learn how to make a Balance Staff...all by him self....
Well....after many failures...I finally came up with something that actually worked very well in that 12 size Admiral I was working on...However...
the pivots were so soft they would bend easily if I was not careful installing the balance Wheel...Sooo....I ordered an assortment from SLarose...."#052052 Blue Staff and Pivot Wire"..
My question is...If this material is already "blued"...do I have to heat treat this stuff before I attempt machining..or...do i use it as is

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Tonyzee,
Use it as is.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Thanks Brian....Now let's see...this will be my tenth try....that old softy is still ticking away though......see ya later. Tony C

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Tonyzee,
Ten trys is not bad at all. I'd hate to tell you how many tries it took me to make my first balance staff. I'd rather try and straighten a tangled hairspring. Keep practicing and when you've mastered the technique, you can make me a dozen Waltham 281 staffs.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Thanks Brian....Hope your not in a hurry for those staffs....Tony c