Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Enamel replacement "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
A number of Hamilton's watches from the 1930's had "engraved, enameled" bezels and sides, like the example below I just bought. My question is how to re-new this enamel in a watch case which has lost its original coloring.

dan

Enameled case

Posts: 423 | Location: West Walton, United Kingdom | Registered: November 16, 2005
posted
Dan,

For very small areas of black enamel, it is possible to fill in using artists enamel, and then baking at a low temp to set the paint. Lightly buffing will blend the repair. This will not work on large areas, as the paint does not build up to a hard consistent surface that can withstand polishing.

Many jewelers are quite adept at renewing enamel in-fill, using a modern colored epoxy compound that dries with a glossy, hard finish. I've had good results on a couple of high art deco ladies cases. Not too expensive an undertaking once you find a jeweler comfortable with the process. All of the old enamel must be removed first, which is sometimes the trickiest part.

Ask around to find jewelers who specialize in Art Deco, and I bet you'll find some who will be willing to take on the task.

Hope this helps,

Cary

Posts: 267 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama USA | Registered: December 12, 2005
Hamilton WW Expert

Picture of Gary Cole
posted
Dan

I have tried Testors Enamel black paint and filled in the areas with a Q-tip , it may not be the best , but it looks good and could be reversed if necessary

Gary

Posts: 61 | Location: Sarasota, Florida U.S.A. | Registered: May 30, 2004