• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Roller Jewel "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have to put a roller jewel in an Illinois Paramount (it has a double roller). I ordered a jewel from LaRose and I was suprised that the jewel did not have a flat on it. And, the roller table dows not have a "D" shaped hole. Does it matter that the jewel does not have a flat on it? Thanks

Posts: 160 | Location: Hartville, Ohio in the USA | Registered: August 18, 2005
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Mark,
If the roller table has a round hole and the jewel is round, that is what it takes.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Thanks. Just out of curosity, what purpose does the flat serve?

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Mark,
I believe the half-round or D shape was to provide less surface area on the roller jewel where it contacts the pallet fork, therefore creating less friction and wear on the fork and jewel. And less friction equals smoother running.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
Makes sense. Thank you very much. I have a couple Elgin size 6's that have steel pins.