• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin convertible grade 100 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have an Elgin convertible grade 100 that ran fine in all positions. I had no idea when the last service was so (unfortunately) I decided to clean it. After assembly it does not start on its own and needs a lot of lightly spinning the balance wheel. After several times of this it does start and moves about 90 degrees. After about 10 minutes it swings about 180-200 degrees. It will spin fine over night like this face down. When you change positions it will slowly come to a holt and not run in any position. You have to go through the light spinning of the balance to get it to start again. I did nor replace any parts in the movement. I have cleaned it again thinking something was dirty. Everything looks clean. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

thank you,
Larry

Posts: 81 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: October 22, 2019
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Larry,

first and easiest thing I would try is to demagnetize it. After that I sorry to say it could be one of so many things it not going to be possible to point you further, would need to have it in hand to find direction.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Thank you Chris.

Larry

posted
Update:
The movement does the same thing when you try to get the balance to run face up. Needs some coaxing but will run face up overnight. When you move it face down it again stops and needs coaxing to start.

Larry

IHC Member 1947
Picture of Serge Barlas
posted
Hi Larry,

Some other things to look at...
1. Check the hair spring. Make sure the coils are concentric to each other. Make sure none of the coils are touching each other. Sometines a very small amount of oil will get the coils to touch or attract and the watch will not run properly. Also check the the hairspring is not rubbing the underside of the balance cock.
2. Check that the balance cap jewels are in their correct "home" positions. If they are out of position it will allow the balance to drop down to far and could slow or stop the watch.
3. Remove the balance and pallet fork from the watch and ensure the train of wheels runs smoothly and with no resistance. I had a watch once that had a screw thread touching the center wheel, took forever to figure out what the issue was.

Hope this helps you a bit, that's a great watch movement!

Kindest regards,

Serge

Posts: 276 | Location: Grand Ledge, Michigan in the USA | Registered: April 16, 2014
posted
Thank you Serge. Will try your suggestions.

Larry

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thank you Chris and Serge for weighing in on this topic!

Posts: 5222 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002