• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

my two full Elgins "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just finished cleaning and oiling a 17 j full plate Elgin, and yesterday a 7 jewel elgin. Both watches run.I had problems with the 7 jewel and it looks like someone has messed around with the hairspring, it is not centred.I took my balance off my 17 jewel and put it on my 7 jewel and it took off running.Now when i finished cleaning and oiling the 17 jewel it likes running dial up or pendant up but when you lay it dial down it slows down and stops.It was running well in all positions before i cleaned it.I did notice i have assembled the setting nechanism wrong and have to fix this.Could this possibly be draging and slowing down the movement?
All in all the 17 was easier to put back together and i am not afraid to try to take these full plate watches apart any more. Cool Smile

Kevin "Veritas" West
IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Kevin,

Is the 17J a pendant or lever set movement? If it's a lever set, make sure the lever is all the way in or you will be dragging the setting components along for the ride.

If it's a pendant set and out of the case, make sure it's in the winding position. Stick a bench key into the winding arbor square and turn it. If the watch doesn't wind, it's in the setting mode and creating drag. Check for the setting spring cam around the edge of the plate. Pivot this to put the movement into the winding position while it's out of the case. You could also simply remove the hour and minute wheel or just the cannon pinion to ensure there's no drag from the setting mechanism.

However, none of what I described above should affect the watch running in dial up or dial down positions. You have other problems to contend with. Namely, balance pivots, hairspring, balance jewels or pallet lever.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
John this is a little wierd.I looked at the 17 jewel and it had stopped overnight.I was thinking pivot problem, maybe too much oil?
I moved the balance wheel and it ran good for about 4 mins and then stopped.By the way this is a pendant and in the winding position with minute wheel and hour wheel removed .
I put the movement back in the case and started to tighten the first movement screw.I did,t even have the screw snug and the balance took off running.Why would this happen?
I am baffled by this.
Any thoughts on this.I saw something similar on one other watch i have it was a full plate waltham. Eek Eek

Kevin "Veritas" West
IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada