Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fixing Sticky Threads on Bezels. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Good morning,
I just wanted to share a technique that I tried last evening with great results to fix sticky bezel threads. I was so pleased with the results I am posting it on both this board and the board formerly known as the "green" board.
I had a 992B in an original case which was difficult to thread on. I think that at some time in the past someone tried to pry off the cover instead to threading it; however the damage wasn't bad enough to cause serious problems. I tried cleaning the case and back cover threads well, but it did not improve the performance. Here is what I did to fix the problem.
1) Found a steel lid from the top of a jar approx 3.5-4" in diameter.
2) Glued the case back to the steel lid using hot craft glue (This also works well for removing stuck backs and bezels as it gives extra leverage to turn. Someone else suggested this on the board one time).
3) Next I applied a fair amount of polishing compound (with very fine grit) to the threads.
4) Threaded on the back and continuously worked it off and on the case for about 10 minutes. I was able to feel the threading working easier as I went.
5) Heat up the lid with my micro torch (low heat) enough to remove and peel away the got glue. Any residue I cleaned using alcohol.
6) Cleaned and dried the case.
This method worked well for this watch case; however I don't think it would be useful for major thread damage.
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003