Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

It's good to be almost bald! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Today I was working on a watch and one of the VERY small screws from a regulator went flying. I felt something hit me on top of my head. Bent over my bench and brushed lightly and there it was! Never would have felt it with a full head of hair Smile

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
You know I have had the opposite feeling, not only do I let my hair grow to long for my wife & boss but I also have a beard. I have wondered how many of those little flying parts have become lost in there. Just today of a very small woman's wrist watch I had a winding arbor fly off into the black hole & I wondered could it be in there some where?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
then you should have a magnet handy...
rgds
enzo

Posts: 285 | Location: Rome, Italy | Registered: May 19, 2005
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
When I started working on watches, I thought of developing a mosquito netting system to prevent lost parts. Fortunately, I don't have the problem very often anymore. 2000 hours of practice cures a lot of it. The secret is to let the power off clic springs and set springs before you remove the parts that hold them in. The other is always keep the tweezers parallel to the bench and as close to the bench as possible. Having your tweezers properly dressed helps too. You can do this by taking some emery cloth and gripping it with the tweezers. Pull the tweezers off of the emery. Finally, always use the right tweezers for the job.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Actually our benches have a "time warp", sometimes when a part disappears, I wait a week or two and it shows up again.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007