WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Technical, Shop Talk and Internet Links  Hop To Forums  Watch Repair Questions and Answers    Need help removing a Manhattan Watch Co. chrono movement from its case (photo added)
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Need help removing a Manhattan Watch Co. chrono movement from its case (photo added) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 456
posted
I have a Manhattan Watch Co. chronograph watch that I can't seem to figure out how to remove from its case. If you are unfamiliar with this watch, it has two "buttons" to the left and right of the crown. One is a button to activate the stopwatch. The other "button" is used to set the time by pulling it straight up and rotating it. I removed the two screws securing the watch from the FRONT of the case (opposite most American watches), but it seems like it's still held in by the setting "button". There is no screw that I can see that would be holding this in. Does anyone know for sure how to do it? Thanks, Mike

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Hi Mike,
That is a very interesting watch. Could there be some sort of a detent holding in the stem? Please post a picture of the movement.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
posted
Mike,

It's been quite a while but I seem to remember
that the setting button threads off its shaft. I
hope that might be of some help.

Maurice

Posts: 20 | Location: Northboro, Massachusetts USA | Registered: January 30, 2005
IHC Member 456
posted
Hi Maurice, thanks for the reply.
When the button is pulled out and turned it sets the hands so I'm not sure how I would unthread it?
Mike

Posts: 541 | Location: Mohrsville, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: February 15, 2005
IHC Member 456
posted
Here's the movement photo.

posted
Mike,
Well I found a couple of these in the attic and
they are not exactly alike. In one, the set and
activate buttons are similar and in the other the
activate button is a bit different and like yours.
As the first one is just a partial movement so
I was able to see how it works. The set button is
frictioned on a shaft and clearly must be removed
to get the watch out of the case (as you pointed
out). Just how to do that is something of a
problem I believe as the case on my watch shows
someone made a valiant try but only succeeded in
damaging the case.
I suggest you let the spring down with the
pin in the back plate and disassemble the watch
that way. It would appear that disassembly was
not considered important 'cause it sure ain't easy.

Maurice

Posts: 20 | Location: Northboro, Massachusetts USA | Registered: January 30, 2005
IHC Member 456
posted
Maurice, Thank you for your input. I will try to disassemble it again eventually and let you know what happens.
Mike