Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Timing a Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 229
posted
Hi...does anyone have a copy of the Ops Manual for a Watch Master G-47 Timing Machine?...TC

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Tony,
I have a copy of the Watch Master Hand Book. It has 72 pages, what would you like to know?
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Hi Brian...I'm trying to figure out how this thing works??.....It DID NOT come with a "Pick up"...and ...it appears it has 2 input jacks......I guess I'm going to need more than just an operator's manual....It does turn on...and...I can get the recording drum to turn...all the tubes seem to be lit up...What do you think...is it worth trying to get this machine operational??...cost so far....$20.00 for the machine......Tony C

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Tony,
The owners manual won't help you out there. It mostly covers reading the recording charts.
I have two of those machines in my attic but they both work. Maybe someone has a broken one you could get the pick-up from them? The rolls of graph paper are also getting hard to get.
Good Luck,
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Well...I guess if your machines are both in storage...you have found something better to time a watch with?....TC

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Yes, I have a Vibrograf B 200 that I use.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Watch Repair Expert
posted
Tony,

At the moment, I'm having a "senior moment" and can't recall which WatchMaster model is which. They made G-7, G-11, G-47, and G-57 models, as well as perhaps others. I have a G-57, and several G-11s, but I can't recall what the G-47 model looks like (I may have some of those too).

If the G-47 is like the G-11, the pickup or microphone is supposed to be an integral part of the machine; it plugs into a hole in the front of the machine that's about 3/4" in diameter. If it's like the G-57, it should have two 1/4" phone jacks on the front of the machine, the left of which is for the pickup, and the right for a set of headphones.

G-11 WatchMasters are large black machines with a horizontal exposed drum or cylinder. They use rolls of graph paper that are about 3 or 4 inches wide. G-57 WatchMasters are smaller -- about the size of an old-fashioned mechanical adding machine. They are typically two-tone gray in color, and instead of the graph paper wrapping around a drum or cylinder, it's continuously "dispensed" horizontally from the machine as it runs.

In any event, regardless of which machine you have, you'd be a lot better off if you had the correct pickup to go with it. You might get lucky, but I'd bet one of those is going to be hard to find.

======================

Steve Maddox
Past President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas
IHC Charter Member 49

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Thanks for the info Steve....when I put this thing back together...I'll try to post a picture...there is a jack on the lower left side labeled...WATCH HOLDER....lower right side...EAR PHONE....soooo...I guess these are external devices....Steve....this ...WATCH HOLDER....is that a microphone device...or...a piezio crystal device..?...

Watch Repair Expert
posted
Tony,

The "microphone stands," "watch holders," or "pickups" used in older timing machines, contained "crystal" wafers that were essentially the same as those used in old phonograph cartridges. I think they're made from some sort of salt crystals, but I can't recall much more than that at the moment. I will say, however, that they're susceptible to damage from heat, and they're relatively fragile. A few weeks in a hot attic is often sufficient to "do one in."

I don't have time to look up the thread right now, but I'm sure a search of the old topics there will easily find it. Try a search in the HT section for the word "piezo," and I'd bet that will probably get it. If that doesn't work, try a variation of that spelling, as it's entirely possible I've misspelled it, and if you find the topic, I'm sure some people here will eventually benefit from a link to it.

==============

SM

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
Thanks Steve...I'm off to the "Green Board"...Tc

IHC Member 229
posted
I notice this G-47 has several BEAT settings....
I didn't know there were so many??...17280......18000......19800.....21000.....21306.....and.....21600....???I assume these differnt setting are for setting time pieces for other planets...like Mars... Saturn....Pluto...etc..Oh...wait...we already did the Mars thing....any input out there??

Watch Repair Expert
posted
Tony,

Different beat settings are to time watches designed with different beat counts. The majority of American and Swiss pocket watches, as well as most of the American and Swiss wristwatches made prior to about 1960, used movements designed to operate at a rate of 18,000 beats per hour.

Some really old pocket watches ran at 14,400 bph, or 16,200 bph, and conversely, many newer wristwatches beat at 19,800 bph, 21,600 bph, or even 36,000 bph +. As I'm sure you can see, the trend through the ages has been to make faster and faster beats, which it's said are less affected by sudden movements during normal wear, and thereby provide greater timekeeping accuracy.

In any event, it makes no difference what beat count is used, so long as the watch has the appropriate gearing, it will indicate the correct time. Needless to say, the overall gear ratio used in the train of a watch with a 36,000 bph escapement, will have to be twice as high as that used in a watch with an 18,000 bph escapement, or the result would be that the watch would show that 24 hours had passed in only 12 hours of operation.

I couldn't begin to tell you how many "standard" beats have been used over the years, but suffice it to say that you wouldn't be able to count them all on your hands and toes. Most divide equally by some reasonable number, but some seem entirely arbitrary -- particularly some used in clocks.

==================

SM