WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 1883 - yr.1912 -18s-7j - (running problem) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,
I am fairly new at watch repair and I am looking for help and advice on getting my model 1883 running correctly. It will run in all positions except on it's back. I have dis-assembled and cleaned, and re-assembled, (not professional by any means), but, the best I could do while trying to learn. My feeling is that this is a staff problem. If it is, I am seeking advice and/or someone that could do the repair. Or, maybe the watch is not worth the cost to repair.
Any help is appreciated,
Thanks, Don

Posts: 169 | Location: Adrian, Michigan in the USA | Registered: June 09, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have found six common causes for an "83" to "slow or stop" when dial up;

Broken Balance Staff

Tight top pivot.

Not fully inserted Balance cock cap jewel; allows top pivot to "choke up" in the top pivot jewel.

Loose Pallet lever pivot, or bent roller safety pin that "flops down" and engages the safety roller all the time.

Loose Motor Barrel cover drops and rubs on Balance wheel

Balance wheel drops slightly "up" towards Balance cock and begins to "rub" Hairspring against Balance Wheel cross arms.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks Dave,
I guess I'll start checking these other things out. I appreciate your help and all the information.
Don

Posts: 169 | Location: Adrian, Michigan in the USA | Registered: June 09, 2011