Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

12S Elgin question "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I recently picked up a nice looking 12s Elgin movement.It's a grade 188 17 jewel, 8 million SN.Looks like a fairly high grade movement, steel escape wheel, gold center wheel, and has a motor barrel.The problem I have is, I placed it in an open face case, and it winds up Ok, and sets Ok, but it keeps jumping into the setting position.Almost seems like it overpowers the detent in the sleeve/stem.I checked under the dial, and I see nothing broken or missing.This one has a small lever at the edge of the pillar plate to disengage the setting, I made sure it was tucked in when I put it in the case.Is this a common problem?I plan to put it into a better case in the future.Thanks!...Ted Brown.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Ted

I wonder if it could be that the stem in the case is set to high?

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks, Tom.Iguess I should check that.It is an Elgin -marked case that had a junk 7J movement in it, so I just assumed it would be correct.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008