Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

German Elgin 17 Jewel Self Winding Question... "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I trying to fix this for a friend of mine, and am having trouble opening it. I Am guessing by the back that it is a snap on case (there are no grooves for a case opener). I can not see a groove either to pry open the back. Any hints would be great Smile

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Side1

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Back side 2

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
might be split stem, front loader ,remove crystal and see.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
quote:
might be split stem, front loader ,remove crystal and see.

it will be.

would you be kind enough to post the 4 digit case number on the inside of the case back please ? I might be able to give you a model name.

Thanks

Michael.

Posts: 27 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: November 06, 2014
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
All that it says on the back is, "10K RGP BEZEL, STAINLESS BACK"

The crystal appears to be plastic. I do not have a crystal lift tool so after I pick one up I will give it a try.

Thanks for the help! Once the tool arrives I will let you know how it goes.
Dan

posted
quote:
ll that it says on the back is, "10K RGP BEZEL, STAINLESS BACK"

Thanks Dan,

on the inside of the case back, you'll find a circle stamp "Cased and timed by Elgin National Watch" and either in it, below or above will be a 4 digit number. this is the key to the model for elgin wristwatches after 1953 and before 1969.

don't panic if you can't get the stem back in, keep trying, they are a bugger!

Posts: 27 | Location: Melbourne in Australia | Registered: November 06, 2014
IHC Member 1902
posted
I only have experience with Omega wrist watches but all the one piece cases are made of one material.

I would think that as this one is two different materials that the case would separate.

Are you sure that it doesn't just unscrew.

Sometimes they can be quite difficult so you need some sort of rubber tool to get firm pressure while turning.

Worth a try I think.

Mike

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Well, the crystal lift arrived today and the crystal came out no problem. I removed the hands and dial to get a better look at the movement and that is when I noticed the two piece stem that was mentioned earlier in the post! I removed the movement without an issue and took these pics before calling it a night. By the way there is a number under the balance - PUW570, and the number on the ocilating weight is 790 while the case has 4822 as well as a case serial number.

Edit - I changed PUW590 to PUW570 as I was able to read it better after removing the balance.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Here is the movement:

Thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out! Now comes the fun part of actually seeing why the watch is not winding any more. The weight moves ok, but I am afraid to look at the winding grears and there was a bit of play as I moved the weight around.
Dan

posted
here more info on the movement
brand PUW caliber 590
size 12 function SC-CLD-AUT
version hands 0,90x1,50
stem 7028 stem (subs.)
stem (2 pce)
balance staff 42203 INCA balance staff (subs.)
mainspring (subs.) 1,45x10,5x0,10Sp. mainspring (subs.)

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Thanks Peter, it's a 790 caliber right?

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Dan,

"If at first you don't succeed..."

So many cases have been ruined by those who are so sure the back MUST unscrew, you took the reasonable course and asked before doing something precipitous, good for you, and thanks to Peter for the good advice!

By the way, as Michael pointed out, that 4822 is the case style number which will lead to the style name for the watch.

Good teamwork guys!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Thanks Lindell, and everyone else for the help and ideas. I figured when there wasn't a lip to get a case opener in that it was not a pry-off and when I used a rubber case ball to see if there was any play as suggested earlier I decided to just wait for the crystal lift to arrive before messing with the watch any further. The posts and suggestions really helped to keep me from trying too hard to open something the wrong way. I have learned that these old timepieces RARELY require a lot of force to open and forcing something usually ends up breaking it.

The last check I did was to look at where the stem met with the case (stem tube area) with a loupe. I found the metal case structure went completely around the stem, there was no seam where the case back meets the case. No seam, no way the case back could be a snap on or screw on type.

You live and you learn, it's just best not to learn on someone's family heirloom Smile

Thanks again everyone! I will let you know how this turns out.

IHC185 membership - $12,
Crystal lift from findingking - $15
Doing things the right way because you asked for help from this forum - PRICELESS.

Dan

posted
First rule in watch making no force needed if you pushing,pulling or pressing too hard you doing something wrong.
IHC is priceless look at all the knowledge here.