Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Star Brand Tools "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
Not sure if this is the proper section, but I've seen a couple nice looking watchmaking items with th "Star" brand. They look to be decent quality--one looks like a pretty nice copy of the K&D staking set.

Can anyone shed any light on the relative quality/value of the tools? How do they compare to Boley, K&D, Lorch, etc?

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Star was Swiss made,of the highest quality, and I believe may have made tools for K&D. The best K&D staking sets appear to have been made by Star and /or Favorite,wonderful tools,superior to my Boley set

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom, that's great info. Thanks!

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
this is the stake. I split the unit up years ago to refinish the case and never got back to it. Found the stake tools and stumps a few months back but no box, and sold them . Then a month later found the lovely oak box,still waiting to be renovated. Picture of staking tool below, a beauty tool to use, there were 6 of the stakes out of 106 with tempered blued tool steel specialty tips,as well Star also made a pretty decent Geneva pattern lathe as well as Swiss Turns, cheers,Tom

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
#2 My Swiss "Favorite" staking tool which when it was delivered to me was in a box that was totally smashed Roll Eyes to bits , still a magnificent tool.

IHC Life Member
posted
There is a very nice looking Star lathe with tooling listed, but it's in Haifa, Israel, and I'd just as soon not deal with an international transaction.