Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cleaning Question Re: Brass Plates "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Good evening.

Cleaning question....

I clean my watches manually (jars and brush) using L&R cleaner and rinse. The watches end up being clean, but with brass(?) plates, they still have that orangeish color. I had an old plate from another watch and tried some Silvo metal polish on it and WOW Cool what a difference. Nice and shiny! Has anyone used this cleaner or a similar polish cleaner before? Are there any negative side effects? I would clean the plates first with the metal polish and then with the L&R to make sure that all the excess residue from the polish is removed. Any comments? Ideas? Warnings…..

Thank you!

Grant Perry
NAWCC #0157065
Chapter 111
IHC-185 #141

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
I beleive what you are refering to as brass might actually be gold guilded plates. A very fine layer over the base metal, which can be brass. Any polishing can easily remove this guilt which would severely diminish the value of the watch. For gold guilt movements I have used L&R #111 which is an ammoniated cleaning solution. This leaves the plates sparkling like they should

Mike Miller
NAWCC Member# 154831
NAWCC-IHC Charter Member# 27

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Thanks MIke.
Glad I asked!
Grant

Grant Perry
NAWCC #0157065
Chapter 111
IHC-185 #141

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003