• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tricks "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I was wondeing if some one had some tricks or hints to help me do a few things.
1. When you are lining yp a small pivot maybe would it be a good idea to turn movement upside down to allow pivot to find it,s way easier.
2. Are there any things to help with putting hands back on.Sometimes they go on quite hard and i am afraid i might damage the watch if i push too hard.
I hope some one can help me with these things. Frown

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Kevin,

This is a quick review.

3/4 Plate train assembly:

1. Position the train wheel lower pivots into their respective holes on the pillar plate first.

2. If the pallet lever has its own bridge, install it after the train wheels.

3. Set the bridge plate(s) on top. Get at least one or two wheels completely pivoted. Use a toothpick or similar probe to position the wheel arbors until the pivots seat and start the screws but only by a thread or two. DO NOT TORQUE.

3. Once the screws are just started, you can then turn the movement over if you need to position the wheels with the probe. As each wheel is pivoted, you can gently turn the screws in a quarter turn or so. If needed, back them out the same amount.

4. When ALL wheels are pivoted, gently turn each screw about a half turn and check for binding. Under NO circumstances should you ever torque the screws until you have assured yourself that all pivots are in their respective holes.

American 3/4 plate watches come in different plate configurations. Each bridge plate capturing two or more wheels. Some finger bridge watches have individual "finger" bridges for the escape, 4th and 3rd wheels. Some of these are actually one piece but made to look as individual.

Full Plate:

This type is somewhat harder to assemble because all of the train wheel pivots (except for the spring barrel) and the pallet lever are under one bridge plate.

1. Position the train wheels and pallet lever on the bridge plate, not the pillar plate.

2. Position the pillar plate on top of the pivots. Start the center wheel pivot first and carefully align the pillar posts with the upper plate holes. Let the pillar plate rest atop the other pivots.

3. Use your probe to move the wheel and pallet lever pivots into their respective holes.

4. Once you have at least two or more wheel pivots in, you can start the plate screws in but only by a thread or two and DO NOT TORQUE.

5. Gently raise the movement by sliding something thin under the bridge plate so that you can pick the movement up. You can place your thumb on one side of the upper and lower plates and your index finger on the opposite side. This will allow you to tilt the movement in different positions while you probe the arbors.

6. Each time another pivot falls into place you can gently turn the screws in a quarter turn or so.

7. Once you are assured that all of the pivots are in place and there is NO binding of any parts, you can turn the screws in a little at a time while still checking for binding after each screw turn.

Note: It is best never to touch the movement with your bare fingers. White inspection gloves or some other barrier is recommended.

I'm out of time so hands will be discussed later or someone else can jump in.

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Thanks John, that will be a good help to me and i will print it so i can refer to it.It REALLY depresses me when i break something.I know most people have when starting out but it reall bugs me.yes the tooth pick is good so you can feel it move.I tried with tweezers on it but no good for me.
thanks again John my freind, i do not know what we would do if we did not have someone good like you in this chapter. Wink Wink Smile Smile

IHC Member 261
Chapter 111,Ottawa
NAWCC Member 158976,
Nepean, Canada