Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dial Restoration "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
I recently picked up a Waltham, P.S. Bartlett KW Circa 1864. Unfortunately, it has one of those awful reproduction dials on it. A member on another board suggested that it might be a plastic overlay and to try peeling it off to see if an appropriate dial is underneath.

I picked at it for a bit and I am just beginning to see American Watch Co underneath the overlay. There is a thin layer of clear plastic over the decal which peels off in small pieces using an exacto knife.

I don't want to keep scraping at it for fear of damaging the original (I Hope!) dial underneath. Any suggestions for removing the remainder of the repro? Here is a pic of what I have so far. Thanks!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1597309&uid=605699&members=1

Jack Davis
IHC Member #6

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
posted
i would suggest soaking in acetone.....

with caution..... flammable.... no smoking.....

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Jack,

A safe acetone-based product I strongly recommend for this and removal of Super-Glue type products is "Cutex Quick and Gentle Nail Polish Remover". The UPC code is 7513701351, it is convenient to use and readily available.

Depending on the adhesive used that acetone-based product will either remove it perfectly or not even phase it. Hardware stores can sell you a product called "Goo-Gone" that is great for practically any adhesive removal job.

Another type of solvent is that used by auto dealers in cleaning up adhesives on new cars. They'll know it as "Prep Solvent" and it is a Body Shop item as well. A small quantity of that type of product will work on the removal of adhesives. I buy that in gallon containers and it's a specialty item. If you have a good relationship with a car dealer, body or glass shop you can take a small screw-top metal or plastic container and ask for a favor.

On "scraping" the safest route may be the old time single-edged razor blades. The flat cutting surface can be used to smoothly "shave off" the gooey stuff after wetting with solvent.

Don't be surprised if you find a chipped but original dial under the "goo" and we might have some further suggestions based upon what you reveal.

Best of luck, and as Terry said be very careful not only with the dial, but with your safety and breathing.

Lindell V. Riddle, President
Internet Horology Chapter 185

NAWCC Life Member 253-150074
Member of Chapters 10, 28, 37, 174 and 185

nawcc-ihc@adelphia.net

Phone: (440) 461-0167

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
Lindell & Terry,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have found that once the clear plastic is peeled away the overlay scrapes away pretty readily with an exacto knife. I was concerned that continuing to scrape with the blade would scratch the dial underneath.

Jack

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Jack,

I'd recommend spraying it with carburetor cleaner, which is available from any automotive supply store, or in the automotive department of Wal-Mart, etc. You could also soak it in naphtha, which would eventually do the same thing, but take a lot longer. In my experiences, acetone works better on most glues, varnishes, and things of that nature, but petroleum based solvents tend to work better on adhesives, which is what you have on your dial.

For what it's worth, it's entirely possible that whatever you do may cause the subsidiary seconds dial to come loose, but you can fix that easily enough. If you need help, let me know and I'll tell you an easy way.

Steve Maddox
President, NAWCC Chapter #62
North Little Rock, Arkansas

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002