WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

L&R Precision Cleaning Machine -- Which solutions? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello,
What type of cleaning and rinsing solutions should I use in my L&R Precision Cleaning Machine? It is the type with the little basket that spins in three jars of solution and then in the dryer. I see that L&R makes solutions for ultrasonic machines; are they ok for my machine? Thanks,
Pete Belmonte

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
peter i use L&r # 111 cleaning solution and #3 rinsing solution in the l&r i have (which i just started using) ..I also use a ultrasonic cleaner and these work good in both machines..

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Samie,
Thanks for the info. I see that S. Larose sells both these types, too. I guess that's my next purchase! Thanks again,
Pete

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
I've heard a lot of talk about ammoniated solutions destroying (stress fractures)on watch parts. Due to this I stay away from them. Do any of you have an opinion on this?

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
My opinion is, nothing cleans as good as ammoniated solutions.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
I'd also like to clean some watches that I've taken apart, but I'm very worried about toxic fumes. Does anyone know exactly which of the cleaning/rinsing solutions (for the ultrasonic cleaners) are non-toxic, or if none are that, which are least toxic? What are the specific ingredients, and what is their toxicity?

In adidition and importantly, what precautions or protections do you use when the solutions are being used?

Thanks, Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
As far as I know all cleaning solutions should be used in at least a well ventilated area. In professional shops the use of ventilation hoods like the ones that are over stoves are used.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Jessica,
L&R Manufacturing Co. has posted a listing of Material Safety Data Sheet, which includes a a recommendation of "Exposure Control Personal Protection".

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 229
posted
In the words of the great Steve Maddox..."any cleaning solution that is water based...you're asking for trouble"..what ever happened to Steve any way???...Tony c

Posts: 148 | Location: Somerville, New Jersey USA | Registered: November 28, 2002
Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
Thanks, Wayne. I'll check their website (I assume they have one).

I'd be interested in knowing what precautions other people in the chapter take, assuming you don't use a hood, or have a professional business setting.

Jessica

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003