Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Another Cleaning Solution Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Donald E. Jones
posted
I see quite a few posts about cleaning solutions and fluids, but I still don't know what to use. In D. W. Fletcher's little book, Watch Repairing as a hobby, apparently written in about 1948, Fletcher recommends carbon tetrachloride, but alas, you can't get that stuff anymore. As I plan hand cleaning only, is there anything I can obtain locally that will work? How about acetone, MEK, or even lacquer thinner?

D. E. Jones

Posts: 73 | Location: Sulphur Springs, Texas USA | Registered: June 29, 2006
posted
Here's a place to start looking. http://www.timesavers.com/ Every one is different. I use a couple of different ones depending on the clock I'm cleaning.
Regards,
Bob

Posts: 130 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas U.S.A. | Registered: September 25, 2004
posted
Robert,
Would the L&R 111 Waterless Solution, or the L&R Waterless No Fume Solution be what I need for hand cleaning? I prefer not to buy more stuff than I really need.

D. E. Jones

posted
My question still remains, what is the problem with using common, locally available solvents, such as acetone or MEK?

D. E. Jones

posted
Donald, a big problem with products such as acetone, paint thinners or even petrol, is the high flamability of those solutions. A spark from a light switch or similar source given the correct air/vapour ratio, and all **** would let loose - you're insurers would get extremely miffed over it to say the least (assuming you survived!!).
If flamable, you need to keep only small amounts, stored in a cool place, and check what your insurers will allow!
Also a factor to consider if using in the house - they stink! unless living alone, you may find your poularity decreasing dramatically! Big Grin (been there-done that!)

Products such as carbon tet' can be extremely dangerous as they exclude oxygen - I believe they 'cloud' at low level and rise as vapour increases.
We used to use gallons of that stuff too for cleaning auto brake linings - asbestos of course Smile(even dirty hands - sure as heck sucked the natural oils out)!!!

I use proprietory watch cleaner in a machine for watches, (except 'one dip' for balances etc) so can't really help with hand cleaning, but for clocks, I use auto parts cleaner (non flamable, but still stinks) first so it doesn't gunk up my horolene solution.

Not a lot of help I know, but beware of anything that will evaporate quickly - also don't leave it on rags in open air - it may combust spontaneously in the right conditions!

Best regards
John Woolsey

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Donald may i ask a question why only hand cleaning...

Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Samie,
I am new to this, but I have about 40 watches, and probably all but three need to be cleaned and oiled. I really can't afford to have them all cleaned professionally, so I am going to learn to do it myself. It is doubtful I would ever try working on anyone else's watch, so I really don't need any production equipment. I think hand cleaning methods will be all I need.

D. E. Jones

posted
With all due respect, Donald.... 40 watches are quite a lot. I hope you are not confusing an investment in minimal equipment with "production equipment."

There are small ultra-sound units that would be perfect for a private-owner to use. I don't know what kind of watches you have but the cost of a small ultra-sound unit would not equal the cost of a single "good" pocket watch! These units are designed to be used with readily available solvents and you would be able to rely on a safe and efficient cleaning.

When I first began watchmaking, I used equipment designed to clean 4 watches at a time. I found that, as a beginner, I did better if I reassembled my watches almost immediately after I disassembled them. I therefore began using equipment that did one watch at a time.

I have to respectfully observe that "hand-cleaning" sounds to me like you intend to use toothbrushes to clean each individual part (no equipment). I think that is going to be time-consuming, might do a poor job, and will result in unnecessary damage and loss to parts.

I think that the specific equipment, designed for folks like you... is a good investment and that there is a good reason to use it. After all, these people have been thinking about your needs and skills for a long time. Why try to "reinvent the wheel" to avoid a small and resonable expenditure?

Frankly, (I hope this doesn't sound too harsh) I think that if there was a way to avoid the costs of skilled watchmakers and/or minimal service equipment.... we'd all be doing exactly that.

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
posted
Peter,
Very sound advice! I have always been quite good with mechanical things, but this may be something I really cannot do. At one time I had a music instrument repair business, and was quite good with such things as saxaphones and flutes, pretty complex devices. I could take a junker and make it look and play like new. I also had a part time gunsmithing business,but I was working with large things. Watches are such tiny machines, but I do have a learner watch coming from Ebay. If it looks like I really can do watch work, I will invest in some equipment.

D. E. Jones

posted
You can! You definitely can!

I have a similar background and made the transition very nicely. Working under magnification, you can do things that you would never have thought possible. And... even for a guy nearing 60, like me, the muscles soon learn to handle the delicate tasks. All of a sudden, you are easily doing things that were difficult before.

That's why I think it's critical to have decent equipment. If you have done gunsmithing, you certainly have learned that a set of gunsmith screwdrivers are essential... even though they sorta look like regular scredrivers.

I was incredibly lucky. I met a master watchmaker who was willing to work with me on a long term basis. That may not be possible with you but I have to reflect that the established techniques and the established tools are all there for good reasons. Sometimes we can change things based upon new technologies but, in most cases, the old ways are still best! Big Grin

Posts: 986 | Location: Flagstaff, Arizona USA | Registered: June 19, 2005
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Donald I AGRE WITH WHAT HAS ALREADY BEEN SAID there is a lot of ultra -sonic cleaners that can be bought at a good price that would do a great job for you..My wife has a small ultarsonic cleaner used for jewelery cleaning that would clean a watch she paid 40.00 for on ebay new,,
I am not trying to sale you a cleaner but i have 2 that i am going to take to the Louisville ky. show this weekend one of the old 3 jar swissers and a small open tank l&r ultarsonic one will be 75.00 (the old swiser is too heavy to ship)while both will do a good job i like ultarsonic much better you can find these at the watch shows.
Get yourself a good cleaner and some l&r cleaning and risning solution stay away from the old products used years ago the tetrachloride is too harsh and dangerous..use the right cleaner and rinse so you wont fade and or dull the plates on your watches. (KEEP YOUR SOLUTION CLEAN WHEN IT STARS TOO GET DIRTY TOSS IT) Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004