Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Working on early pendant-set Walthams "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
In another thread, Jim McKinney inquired about the small star engraved on the plate of a 14-size 1884 model Waltham, and I thought I would put the response in the repair section, as this is critical information for anyone working on one of these watches. This also applies to some 1889 model 8-size Walthams. This feature is only found on early pendant set Walthams and requires a not-so-obvious action to be able to remove the stem and movement from the case.

On a lever set model there is no need for a positive engagement between the stem and the winding/setting mechanism, but on the pendant-set models (usually open-face) something was needed to allow the stem to pull the mechanism into setting position. This was prior to the spring-activated negative setting mechanism found on later movements of most companies*. On these earlier pendant-set models, the stem has a square section that engages the winding pinion, but also has a threaded end that screws into the "winding bar tip" that engages the internal setting lever. Pulling on the stem, through the winding bar tip, thus shifts the internal mechanism into setting position. In order to remove the stem, so the movement could be taken from the case, this winding bar tip has to be unscrewed. The only way to do this is to insert a pin through the hole in the star and into the slotted end of the winding bar tip. This locks the tip so that the stem can be unscrewed and removed. Similarly, after the movement is replaced in the case an inserted pin will hold the tip steady so that the stem can be threaded back in. The attached picture should show the relevant parts (except for the threaded stem). Note that the star has a hole in the center of it. At the time these were made the engraved star was probably considered sufficient to call attention to the special mechanism.

[* -- on a negative setting watch, the wind/set mechanism in the movement automatically slips into setting position when the stem is pulled out or the movement is removed from the case].

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
posted
Jerry, Excellent info. I have never worked on one, but may find one some day. Now I will know how to do it. Thanks.

Tom

Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Jerry, thanks for that bit of information. I will file it for future refrence.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Jerry,

Appreciate the clear, detailed description, I would get crazy trying to disassemble this arrangement.

Regards

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
Thanks Jerry, that is interesting and good-to-know information. I'm still in the beginner stage, and the winding/setting mechanisms are one of the most challenging aspects of pocket watches for me.
Pete Belmonte

Posts: 156 | Location: O'Fallon, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: September 03, 2004