• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

8 day Waltham Car Watch or Clock? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a Waltham Car Clock and the serial number is 20851528, i did a online search on the Tom McIntyre's site and could not find the serial number. On the movement it says Waltham Watch Co. 7 jewels and then on the plate , dial side next to the balance wheel it says adj.I have 2 other movements Walthams and 7 jewels that do not say adj, I was wondering about this movement, they have not the same cases on two of these clocks?

IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Kevin,

Here is the one and only car clock I've restored. This one is a great runner and will hold within a minute for about nine days. Note the cork seal used under the bezel. Cork is not the easiest thing to trim. Smile

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
IHC Life Member
posted
The movement is 7J and has a 16s escapement.

posted
Very nice car clock John, did you have to do a lot of work to get it into the condition it is now, and how hard are balance staffs to find for these?
Movement is very shiny, unlike mine with lots of scratches. Smile

IHC Life Member
posted
Kevin,

I believe the 16s 861 staffs should fit. I haven't changed one out yet but will let you know when I do. If you need one, provide me with the critcal dimensions of your old one and I will check for you.

posted
Thanks John for the generous offer.I don,t have the Elgin yet, hopefully soon.I may have to change one or two Waltham car clock staffs.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
What car companies used Elgin's in their automobiles, John? Regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Mark,

Sorry, I don't know. With the extended winding arbor, all you really needed was a hole cut in the dash panel of just about any old car. This was probably more of a novelty in those days and an expensive option.

Next time someone is at an antique car show and see one of these, please take some pictures and share.

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I don't know about Elgins, but I have a 1921 Waltham catalog that lists a lot of cars that used their automobile clocks.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003